Chapter 40: The Other Ones

The might of a full zerg brood was always a sight to behold. From a distance, the marching swarms were nothing more than an unstoppable tide of horns, fangs, and spines. In space, where the more esoteric forms reigned supreme, the Swarm become an eldritch force of nature, a haunting phantom emerging from the void. Fortunately for their enemies, the greater space creatures of the Swarm rarely saw the battlefield. Even for broods numbering in the millions, leviathans were costly and difficult to grow. Most of the Swarm's strains could be grown on the battlefield, but only the most expert weavers of essence would dare to grow a leviathan in combat. Even out of combat, they were notoriously tricky to maintain and birth, making them a rarity.

Daggoth, eldest cerebrate and lord of Tiamat brood, had a fleet of dozens of leviathans. Accordingly, he was the one who was sent retrieve the elder Evolution Master. On the orders of the Overmind, he split off three of his leviathans towards the inner arm of their galactic spiral. According to Abathur, the planet wasn't equipped for orbital combat, but they still had plenty of deadly weaponry. As such, despite his three leviathans Daggoth would be breeding troops and space-based strains en route.

A fleet of overlords finished transporting supplies into the leviathans, enough for extended interstellar travel. Their shells were filled with swarming masses, their bellies full of vespene, minerals and biomass. As the final overlord deposited its cargo, the leviathans lifted themselves out of orbit and towards the edge of the system.

(Transition)

Luna hadn't liked the Hog's Head. It was dark, small, and filled with the smell of humans. Fortunately, the DA's meeting there had been very brief. The leaders were certainly qualified, although she didn't know how good at teaching they would be. Luna had no reservations signing the contract. She had even less about leaving the dingy bar. Of course, she wasn't really sure about the rest of the people who had been there. They were humans, after all. The authority figures may have anything against her, but they wouldn't help her if things went bad.

Right now, she was making her way towards the meeting place, some room she had never heard of, which was likely perfect no not perfect never perfect for their purposes. It was rather out of the way, but Luna was close now, just one more corner and-

"Luna! I haven't seen you in forever. How long has it been?" said a form Luna never expected to see in the castle again.

"Aba- Thenabar!"

Thenabar winced. Don't call me that again, my Queen. My captor doesn't trust me to be alone just yet. he said, still smiling with a close mouthed. "Play along, for now. We're friends that haven't seen each other in nearly a year. Play the part."

"Where have you been? I haven't seen you in months," Luna said aloud. "When did you get out?"

Apparently, my act was more convincing than intended, and the old man was stupid enough to believe I was actually human. Now I have to act in front of a crowd of hundreds, he responded. "I've been...sick, for a long time. I had to get treatment for a long time. I only just got out of the hospital."

That's the story you're going with? "Well, it's nice to have you back. You're just in time. I think I almost found proof of the Rotfang conspiracy! I'm on the way to get it now, do you want to come with me?"

It was the one I was provided. For now, I'm a pliant pawn. My loyalty must at least appear to lie with the old human. But rest assured my Queen, I act at your will regardless of what my mouth may say. "Maybe another time. I only just got back, and I still need some time to settle back in."

My Queen? "Alright, then. Maybe another time," Luna said, outwardly pouting. "Wait, are you back for good?"

You are a powerful psionic within the Swarm. It is the appropriate title. "I think so, but I'm not sure. You know how these things are. No one's ever quite certain what's going to happen next."