eight

Imani sat down at a table with Hakeem as she watched one of the new artists, Tiana, shoot a music video for a collab she did with V. She didn't want to be there, since Anika was the one that orchestrated the shoot, but she promised V she would watch. She had to at least look like she was enjoying herself, since she knew V would give her an earful later. She looked over at Hakeem, who was grinning from ear to ear as he watched Tiana. Her brows furrowed, and she directed her attention to Tiana, who was staring at Hakeem with the same lustful expression.

"Ay," she hit Hakeem's arm, getting his attention. "Are you and Tiana--" She stopped talking when Lucious walked into the room. Hakeem still had the grin on his face, and that was all the answer she needed. "She actually slept with your Keebler Elf ass?" She laughed, leaning back in her chair. "I can't."

"You not funny," Hakeem chuckled, putting his focus on Lucious. He stood up, walking over to him.

"You pushed me on purpose," V told Tiana as the music stopped. Tiana rolled her eyes and the two walked away from each other.

"It's all gonna be fine," the director told the girls. "We'll take a break, we'll start again."

V scoffed, wiping sand off of her hands as she walked off the set to Imani. "Don't look at me like that," V told her as she sat down. "You saw. She did it on purpose."

Imani threw her hands in the air. "I didn't say anything." She eyed the silver, sequin-covered mini dress V had on for the video. "You look cute." She played with one of the chains dangling from the back of V's dress.

V gently removed Imani's hand. "Your father is in the room, 'Man," she told her. "He already black-balled you, I don't want the same for me. 'Kay?" Imani's eyebrows raised in shock. She pursed her lips. "That came out wrong."

"Sure it did," Imani dismissed, rolling her eyes. "You meant what you said."

"I didn't mean it like that," V said. "I swear." She sat down next to Imani. "But, like you said, this is the one shot I have to make somethin' of myself. I don't wanna fall flat because your dad is a homophobe."

The director alarm sounded, letting everyone know they were about to start shooting again. "Break time's over, Veronica," Imani said, not looking in V's direction. She could see V tilt her head before walking back onto the set. Imani sighed, resting her chin on her hand. Loving in private wasn't her thing. She wanted to just...be. To love out loud. To not be ashamed or hide. V wanted to save face, Imani wanted to live. She knew there was no way for either of those things to happen if they continued on with the relationship they didn't have.

Imani and Fallon were yet again in the Lyon mansion for a dinner party Lucious hosted to welcome Hakeem's new girlfriend, Tiana to the family. Imani had no intentions of attending in the first place, but you can't exactly get out of a Lyon family dinner. She sat, head propped up on her elbow, staring off into space. Fallon passed time by making small talk with Rhonda.

"Mr. Lyon," Michael called his name, walking up to him as Lucious sat down. "I just wanted to say thank you for inviting me."

Lucious didn't even look at him. "I didn't invite you," he said. "Thank her." He gestured to Cookie, sitting at the head of the table.

"I know you don't know because you don't live here, but this is my house, and that's my chair," Anika told Cookie.

"Oh, girl, go sit down there with your daddy and be a good little girl," Cookie replied, gesturing to an empty seat at the other end of the table.

"Sweetheart, will you sit next to me, just for tonight?" Lucious asked.

Imani chuckled. She leaned over and whispered to Tiana, "Welcome to the family, girl." Tiana laughed.