1 : orphan

VERA WAS SITTING IN ONE OF THE MAIN AREAS IN THE INSTITUTION Until she heard the loud metal door open, disturbing her silences. A doctor came in with another silhouette behind him. Vera didn't make an effort to revert her attention to the door whatsoever. Instead, she'd rather stare down at the plain grey table she was sitting at.

"Vera." The doctor said. Vera took a while to answer, slowly swinging her head up lazily, responding with a "Hm?"

He stepped closer cautiously and then did a side step, revealing the person behind him. "This is Leena. She's been at the institution longer than you, but yet you too have never met. She was held in a more secluded part of the building." He said.

Vera eyed Leena up and down. "Is she a child?" She asked, looking back up at the doctor for an answer. He shook his head. "She's like you." Was the last thing he said before leaving the room, locking them inside to converse.

Through the dim lights, the first thing Vera noticed about Leena was the ribbon around her neck. "What is that?" She announced rather loudly.

Leena approached Vera, sitting opposite the woman. "Scars. The stupid doctors held me in a stray jacket." She grimaced. Vera wanted one. She disliked the permanent attempt scars around her neck. "Do you have spare ones?"

Vera was slowly opening up to the little lady she'd just met. "Yes, next time we meet, I'll give you one." Leena nodded with a faint smile. "So,"

Leena started up another conversation. "If what the doctor said was correct, how old really are you?" Leena leaned in closer as a teenage girl would when spilling some hot gossip.

Vera let out a long hum. "25. I've been here since 9" she'd admit.

"31" Leena replied.

This made Vera happy, she felt as if she had a friend that she could relate to, not to mention that they were both probably as crazy as the other, since they've both ended up in here. Not the ideal bonding tactic, but she didn't care.

"Could I tell you a secret?" Leena looked up to one of the security cameras, which didn't have voice recordings, so if anyone was watching, they wouldn't hear.

"I'm going to get out of here, soon, you want in?" Leena dryly giggled.

Vera immediately nodded. She didn't just want to escape. She NEEDED to escape. She's sick of this place, of these ugly walls, of her uncomfortable bed, of her raged clothing, her unkept hair.

"Please." She grinned.

TIME SKIP

Today was the day. The plan was Leena would make her way to the exit, and unlock the doors, letting any and all of the other patients staying here out. Vera already was packed and ready to leave, so to pass time she had some old music playing on her gifted radio while twirling around like a ballerina, which was something Vera did a lot, it may of been a coping mechanism for her.

She was humming the tune peacefully with her eyes closed, jumping and twirling on her tippy toes, all until she heard a loud BEEEP throughout the whole institution.

That's her cue.

Vera grabbed her bag and booked it out the door, maneuvering her way through the hostile patients wandering the halls.

When she made her way to the front, she saw Olive, one of the patients that Leena sort of had wrapped around her fingers, beating the living hell out of a guard.