Chapter Four

Everything was perfect for the following week. Christopher was back to being his usual self. Until I triggered him or so that's what he said. We were at the bleachers, it was a very sunny day. We had two more classes to go through to go home. I looked at him, "Are we going to the movies again?"

"We went last week, why do you want to go again?" He looked at me as if I had said something wrong.

"I thought you wanted to go see the new action movie." I looked at him confused.

"Is that why? Or you want to go see the cashier?"

I was confused. When he saw that I didn't say anything he got up and grabbed me by my arms. "I'm asking you a question. This is the part where you start telling me that it's not like that."

I was so startled not knowing what to do. When I was able to speak, it came out as a whisper. "I don't even know what you're talking about." He let go of my arms and as he was pacing back and forth, all I could do was stare at him. He saw me holding my arms and he put himself in front of me. The same look in his eyes full of hate was all I was seeing. "See, you're no different from your dad. You're going to leave me huh?" He smirked as he said this. When he saw once again that I was not going to say anything he left me alone. I sighed not knowing I was holding my breath. The day went on without seeing Christopher. I went home still startled about what happened. I came home surprised to see my mother cooking. " Mmhmm something smells good." I said as I walked in.

My mother looked up to see me. "Your father is coming, so I cooked him some rice and chicken, his favorite."

I looked at her. I knew that he was not coming, but I couldn't tell her that. I felt bad if I did. I just smiled at her and headed to my room. I wanted to tell my mom about what happened but she was dealing with her feelings. As I began to do my homework I received a message from Christopher, "Babe I'm sorry about earlier. I was consumed by jealousy. I know that doesn't justify my outburst. Let's talk tomorrow at the bleachers. I love you." I read the message and out of everything those three words stuck out the most, "I love you." I smiled at that. I was brought back to reality as I heard someone knock on the door. Anxious and excited I got up thinking it might have been Christopher, I ran to the door. "I'll get it!" I yelled as I made my way to the front door. When I opened it I was shocked that indeed it was my father. He stood there smiling at me, "Can I come in?"

We sat there in the kitchen while my mom fixed us a plate to eat.

My father looked skinnier than before. His clothes wrinkled, his eyes were baggy, he looked miserable. I stared at him until he spoke, "How's school?"

"It's going." I smiled at him. My mom came back and gave us our plate, and sat down smiling.

"So, are you coming home now?" My mom asked as she started eating. My dad began eating and didn't say anything. We all were eating in silence when my dad broke the silence, "I'll come home. I just want to know that you're not going to have your outburst again. This time if it happens, this time I'm leaving and not coming back."

My mother smiled, "I knew it. I know you love me and I knew at some point you had to come back. I promise I'll change and try not to jump to conclusions and ask you first."

I looked at both my parents. My dad confused me, not long ago he was saying quite the opposite to me. Maybe he realized that mom was the love of his life. Hopefully this time everything was going to be different. I finished eating and excused myself so they could have some alone time. I wanted to text Christopher but my gut was telling me not too. I finished my homework and fell asleep. The next day I was happy that it was Friday, it had felt like a long week. I was smiling because my dad came home and Christopher told me he loved me as well. I shower and head to the kitchen after getting dressed, where my mom was cooking. She cooked me scrambled eggs and made me coffee. I smiled at her but didn't say anything. I ate in silence. I waited for my dad to come out but seeing he didn't, I headed to school. I went directly to the bleachers where I saw Christopher crying. I walked towards him, "Why are you crying?" I asked as I sat next to him.

"What I said to you. I keep replaying the conversation in my head and it's killing me. I didn't mean it, I was just angry for no reason." He said this as he cried with his head down.

I sighed, "Honestly, what you said was uncalled for. It did hurt me, but I understand that you don't express what you feel. Just don't let it happen again." I fidgeted with my hands. He looked up at me and I smiled at him. He hugged me. "Thank you. I thought for sure this time you were going to break up with me. I was so scared, even the thought of you leaving me, I just couldn't think about it, it was too much for me." He said to my ear while he hugged me. He let go of me and he sighed and smiled at me. "You're the love of my life. As long as I'm alive I will never leave you."

I smiled at this. He loved me to the point where he was willing to change for me. I smiled a little wider at the thought of this.