The Day

(Prologue)

       ~Nova~

                           The night was calm and the wind was easy in the small town of Accomac. My town. My home. But the peace wasn't meant to last. 

                           I lay in my bed as the breeze gently brushed my curtains. The smell of a neighborhood bond fire and a late night barbecue was thick in the air. It was the middle of summer. July to be exact, couldn't forget an amazing day like that especially in these times......

                           It was rather late. The sun had gone down and the moon was full. I shivered. The full moon brings trouble, so says my father. I look out my window that shows a view of the street. Speaking of my father....his car isn't here. He's probably still at work. "He usually does stay out late.....so no need to worry." I thought as I climbed into bed. 

                          As I start to fall asleep, I get another chill. I sit up in bed. The smell of the warm summer was washed away with the smell of an angry fire. I ran to my window to see a horrible sight. My neighbor's yard was full of people fleeing from the burning house. As I looked, the scene became worst. Most of the people got away, but a man lay on the ground, his partner next to him. She was sobbing....

                         He's Dead. I couldn't believe it. I knew him from my neighborhood....but it doesn't stop there. Whipping the shock induced tears from my eyes, the woman let out scream.  I look back to see her hugging her partner's lifeless body. But what I saw will scare me forever. The man that I could've sworn was dead lifted his arms and rapped them around the woman. What is this? That isn't possible.

                        I continued to watch, confused and bewildered. The woman was smiling through her tears as she hugged her partner. But, I can't shake this feeling that somethings wrong. And boy, was I right. The woman released the man from her embarrass and looked at him.....then the man moved.

                        I saw the man......bite, no tear into his partner. He peeled the meat from her neck like meat from a bone. Blood gushed everywhere. And what's worst, he continues to tear her apart....I back away from my window. Absolutely paralyzed with fear and shock. D-Did he just.....eat her? His girlfriend?

                        I have to call the police. I grab my phone and dialed 911. It rung once and then the line went dead. More scared then before, I threw on some black skinnys and a dark hoodie. As I ran down the stairs a loud explosion shook the whole house. I fell down the stairs and landed right on my butt. Holding my head for the room to stop spinning, I slowly look around. Someone was banging on my front door. 

                       It was a boy.....Is it? I got up and walked to the door and peared threw the window. It was my friend and next-door-neighbor Alex Blake. He seemed frightened, terrified even. I opened the door and he rushed inside.

                       "Oh thank God. Thank you so much Nova." He said as he grabbed hold of me and hugged me. He was shaking like a leaf. 

                         "No problem. What's going on out there?" I pulled him away and looked at him. He looked like he went through hell and back. He stared at me with blank eyes. "I'll explain everything but we need to find a safe place. Maybe your basement."

                          He grabbed my hand and led me into the basement. His hands were really sweaty and heat radiated from him. I turn on the light in the basement as we reach the end of the stairs."What's going on out there Alex? What was that explosion?" I scanned him, looking for an answer.