Chapter Four

Amberpaw's paw twitched as she felt a cat's tail brush her paw. She groggily opened her eyes and saw a small white cat peering down at her. Amberpaw blinked as she registered that it was her sister. At least, it isn't Sorrelpaw. After spending some time with Sorrelpaw, Dovepaw seemed so much better. Dovepaw was the prettiest apprentice in ThunderClan, unlike Sorrelpaw with her matted fur. Dovepaw was also a lot more kind, and Amberpaw's heart swelled with jealousy. At least, I'm not like Sorrelpaw.

"Sister!" Dovepaw purred, happiness sparkling in her eyes, "You're awake!" Amberpaw managed to purr in response, her head throbbing slightly. Her mind echoed with memories of how Blackleaf had drawn blood and she had fainted.

A cat appeared next to Dovepaw. It was a light brown tom. Amberpaw took in a deep breath, he smelled like roses and she closed her eyes happily.

"Amberpaw?" Dovepaw mewed worried, "Are you awake?" Amberpaw wrinkled her nose in frustration and she exploded, irritated.

"Yes!" she growled, still taking in the sweet smell of the tom, "I'm alive and well!" Dovepaw frowned, taken back. The tom laughed and his body shook.

"Hi, Amberpaw," the tom purred, "I bought prey for you." Amberpaw's heart warmed and she smiled at the tom. Her eyes were still a bit blurry but she could now tell that the tom was Ashpaw.

"Thanks," Amberpaw purred, "Ashpaw." She sat up and the sun rose so that sunlight could shine on her pelt. A cool breeze trickled in and Amberpaw shivered. It was almost Leaf bare and prey was starting to get low. Amberpaw fluffed her fur and Ashpaw chuckled.

"When you feel alright," Doveberry called from the back of the cavern, "Lilyspot wants to see you." At the mention of her mother Amberpaw felt sick. She treats me so nicely it's annoying, but my father treats me like trash! Amberpaw felt like wailing. Amberpaw nodded, and Doveberry returned to sorting the herbs.

"I have to now," Ashpaw told Amberpaw, as he flicked his tail towards his mentor, "See you later." Amberpaw nodded, and her heart fluttered. Dovepaw hummed and playfully swatted Amberpaw with her tail. Amberpaw felt herself purr with happiness and she rolled her eyes.

"Some cat..." Dovepaw sang, so that Amberpaw could hear, "is in lovveeee!" Amberpaw had just taken a bite out of the squirrel that Ashpaw had bought her. Amberpaw almost choked and Dovepaw giggled. Amberpaw rolled her eyes again and slunk back into her nest. Dovepaw left Amberpaw as Doveberry called her back to help her.

Amberpaw closed her eyes and she listened to her surroundings. She was so focused that she drifted into sleep.

Amberpaw choked and she quickly scrambled upright, her fur covered in dust. She glanced around and saw a furious, red flame coming right at her. Ashpaw! Her mind jumped to the apprentice, and she saw the brown tom running for his life. She started to follow but tripped, her pelt getting covered in ashes and burnt leaves. Her lungs gasped for breath and the heat intensified. She quickly screamed for help, but no one was there. I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die! Amberpaw struggled upright, and she saw Dovepaw stuck with Lilyspot and Troutstar in a corner. Dovepaw! Despite her frustration at Dovepaw, Amberpaw still felt a love for her. She rushed into a gap and started to pull Dovepaw out. Behind her, her father and mother pleaded for help, but Amberpaw's mind clouded, and she didn't care-

"What do you mean?" Amberpaw heard a cat whisper, furiously, "I tried to help her! You took her away from me!" Amberpaw opened her eyes slightly, still shaken from her dream, and saw Grayripple, Troutstar, and Lilyspot standing near her nest.

"Because, you," Troutstar hissed, "were in my way! Plus, Lilyspot chose me over you!" Grayripple gasped, and his fur rippled. Lilyspot opened her mouth and then shut it.