*** means switch of POVs.

Do you smell that?

Paul Lahote swiveled around at Sam's thought. The Alpha was standing stock still, eyes focused on something in the trees ahead of them.

Smell what? Paul thought back, padding over to him. An acrid smell assaulted his nostrils, and he growled automatically, low and deep. Vampire.

It's fresh but not strong, said Sam. I don't think it's a vampire.

Smells like one, though, Jared pointed out, popping his furry head out of the bushes next to them. Should we follow it?

Stay close, was Sam's only warning before he took off.

The other two matched him stride for stride, and the three of them tore through the underbrush. Birds leapt into flight at the sound of their approach. Sam must have realized the racket they were making, because he slowed. Quiet down. It's nearby.

The two of them obeyed, falling into step behind him. Despite their best attempts, It wasn't easy to be quiet when you were the size of a horse.

There, Sam said. At the same moment, Paul caught a whiff of something sweet, something citrus-y that caused him to stop in his tracks.

Paul?  Sam's voice echoed through their minds. Why'd you stop?

Do you smell that? He sniffed the air. The scent was amazing. Intoxicating. Paul had never smelled anything like it before. His chest was suddenly aching with the desire to find its source, and before he knew it, he was following it blindly through the forest.

Paul! What the hell? Slow down!

Paul ignored them. Nearby, he could hear a rushing stream, and he picked up the pace, running towards it.

Did he just disobey your order? Jared's voice sounded bewildered.

Sam was equally confused. I have no idea how he's doing it. Follow him!

Paul barely heard their words, fully focused on finding the source of that scent. He did notice, though, that the scent of vampire was getting stronger. For some reason, rather than giving him a thrill, the smell made his heart beat frantically. Finally, the rushing of the stream growing louder and louder, he skidded to a halt right before he emerged from the trees.

On the opposite bank, a girl was sitting by the river, playing with the water. She had long, dark hair, tanned skin, and a stunning pair of hazel eyes. She hadn't noticed him yet, attention fixed on the stream before her.

Paul felt his heart contract at the sight of her. It felt like he couldn't breathe, like the world had skidded to a halt, leaving him unbalanced and confused. He had the sudden, overwhelming urge to go up to the girl, to be with her. The feeling ripped a whine from his chest. It felt painful and exhilarating all at once, and he barely managed to stop himself from lunging towards her.

Sam's laughter echoed somewhere in the back of his mind.

What? Jared demanded, bewildered. What's going on?

He just imprinted.

Jared sniffed the air. She smells like a vampire.

Paul growled at this. She was obviously human. Why did she smell like that? Had a vampire touched her? Hurt her? His growl grew louder, ending in a snarl.

Calm down, Paul, Sam ordered. Don't move. You might scare her.

Paul felt the urge to whine. Why would she be scared of him?