Chapter 2: The Kent's Greatest Surprise. And boy, were there lots of them.

(Earth - November 1, 2005 - Smallville Courthouse - Smallville, Kansas - 5:30 pm)

"According to the discussion you had with the Smallville County Sheriff's Department, with Sheriff Brown's assistance and Lionel Luthor's sponsorship, Martha and Jonathan Kent have full legal and physical custody of Clark Joseph Kent. He is now your son." Judge Howard Stern proclaimed with a gavel in hand.

"Thank you, your honor," Jonathan said. He turned his head and saw the dark-haired Luther smirking from the outskirts of the courtroom. Lionel Luther quickly left the room as the judge hit his gavel on his pulpit.

"Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Kent, on your new family member." Judge Stern remarked.

Martha and Jonathan couldn't hold back their happiness, so they threw themselves at one another in a big hug and kissed each other before looking down at baby Clark, who was giggling happily at the commotion going around. Martha picked him up and held him, and Jonathan looked on with pride at their new son—the one who saved their marriage!

The two looked over at their relatives, who had a mixture of skepticism but overall happiness for the two of them as Martha and Jonathan walked over to them with baby Clark in tow.

"Congratulations, Martha." William Kent said to his daughter. "I will say that after a long and stressful time of being able to have no kids, you deserve all of this happiness with this baby boy, Martha. Both you and Jonathan."

Martha smiled, not noticing the disdain in her dad's voice, but Jonathan saw through that comment which was absolutely asinine, poking fun at their strenuous days of having absolutely no kids when Clark literally saved their marriage right here and now. But, for the sake of this day alone, he fought down this flash of anger, and looked at baby Clark with all of his happiness, shared with Martha.

Then there was the thought, "Could he possibly have married Ellie and have kids with her?" Sure, maybe there was a universe where he married her, but who knows how that would've played out. Jonathan fought that thought down, as Ellie probably would've distracted him from his duties way too much. Honestly, as much as he had fun with her, he could settle with being just friends with Ellie. Martha was the better of the two.

"I find it strange, though. Where did you say you found the baby again, Martha?" Jessica Kent questioned her daughter-in-law.

Martha was already prepared for that as she figured her in-laws, and her own parents would have some suspicions on where they found Clark. Both Jonathan and Martha made it clear to one-another, Clark's true origins were never to be discovered by anyone, because who knows how they would react. "We found him on our doorstep. Apparently someone must've left him there by accident during the meteorite shower. Either that or entirely on purpose."

Jessica's look didn't deter, her suspicions only seeming to rise more, but the story seemed believable enough. After all, while Meteor showers were a rare thing, they do happen to cause a lot of chaos wherever they go. Anything could happen during a Meteor shower like the one just a day ago. So she could get by that explanation.

"I see." Jessica said. Martha let out a silent breath of relief. She could tell Jessica still held that suspicion in her face, but she'll let it slide. Of course, the others shared their own suspicions on how Clark came to be in their possessions, and they were nothing if determined to figure out the truth, which Jonathan and Martha could not allow to get out, for fear of what might happen.