6. insecurities

As Maitreyi glanced at her watch, a flicker of concern crossed her features, reminding her of the time and her responsibilities waiting beyond the enchanting bubble they had created together. 

"I really should be going," she murmured softly, a hint of reluctance in her voice.

But Shubman's gaze softened, his eyes reflecting a mixture of understanding and determination. "Let me drive you home," he insisted, his voice gentle yet firm. "I want to make sure you get there safely."

Maitreyi hesitated, touched by his concern yet wary of imposing on him any further. "You don't have to do that," she protested, her cheeks flushing with warmth.

But Shubman shook his head, a reassuring smile playing on his lips. "I want to," he insisted, his tone unwavering. "Please, let me take care of you."

With a soft sigh, Maitreyi found herself unable to resist the sincerity in Shubman's eyes. She nodded, her heart swelling with gratitude for the man standing before her. "Okay," she relented, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips. "Thank you."

As they made their way to the door, Shubman draped his arm around Maitreyi's shoulders, drawing her close in a comforting embrace. Together, they stepped out into the cool night air, their laughter mingling with the soft rustle of the leaves as they walked hand in hand towards Shubman's waiting car.

In that moment, as they embarked on the journey home together, Shubman and Maitreyi knew that their bond was unbreakable, their love a guiding light in the darkness. And as they drove off into the night, their hearts filled with hope and anticipation, they knew that no matter what challenges lay ahead, they would face them together, hand in hand, forever united in their love.

The drive was a peaceful one, with the quiet hum of the engine serving as a backdrop to their shared thoughts and occasional laughter. Shubman stole glances at Maitreyi, admiring the way the moonlight danced across her features, casting a soft glow over her delicate profile.

Maitreyi, too, found herself lost in contemplation, her heart brimming with gratitude for the man beside her. She stole glances at Shubman when he wasn't looking, marveling at the strength and kindness that radiated from him.

As they approached Maitreyi's apartment building, Shubman pulled up to the curb, bringing the car to a gentle stop. He turned to Maitreyi, his gaze soft yet determined. "Here we are," he said, his voice tinged with a hint of reluctance.

Maitreyi nodded, her heart heavy with the realization that their time together was drawing to a close. "Thank you for driving me home," she said, her voice filled with sincerity. "I appreciate it more than you know."

Shubman smiled, reaching out to gently brush a stray lock of hair from Maitreyi's face. 

"Anytime," he replied, his voice warm with affection. "I'll always be here for you, Maitreyi, no matter what."

Maitreyi's heart swelled with emotion at his words, her eyes shining with unshed tears. "I know," she whispered, her voice barely above a breath. "And I'm so grateful to have you in my life."

With a tender smile, Shubman leaned in closer, his lips brushing against Maitreyi's cheek in a gentle kiss. "Take care of yourself, okay?" he murmured, his breath warm against her skin.

Maitreyi nodded, her heart overflowing with love for the man before her. "I will," she promised, her voice filled with conviction.

And as Shubman watched Maitreyi disappear into the embrace of her apartment building, a sense of peace washed over him. In that moment, he knew that no matter where life took them, they would always find their way back to each other, their love an unbreakable bond that would withstand the test of time.