Chapter 3

Chapter 3:

Chapter 3:

Saving Henry

(OUAT s1e05)

Alton wanted to have a good time eating his meal in the fire station kitchen. He had ordered pizza and was sharing it with his colleague. The latter was still talking about his wonderful girlfriend when a loud tremor shook the building.

Emmett, his colleague, stopped talking and they looked at each other for a brief moment before the alarm indicating the firefighters' presence was needed sounded. The two men quickly got up to put on their gear.

When they were ready, both of them climbed up and hurried to the scene. It was at the entrance of the mines. Upon arrival, Alton saw some sort of crater and assumed that a mine had collapsed. The residents of Storybrooke were gathered around. He assessed the situation and decided that trying to move people away would be the safest option.

He tried to push back the curious onlookers while Emmett spoke with a contractor to see if another collapse was possible. Alton stopped what he was doing when he saw the mayor arrive. She told the others to step back and asked Graham, who had just arrived with Emma, to establish a safety perimeter, much to the firefighter's relief.

"Marco, why don't you help with the fire department?" The mayor ordered. Marco turned to Alton, who gestured towards his colleague. "Miss Swan, this is now official town business. You're free to go."

"Well, actually I work for the town now." Alton looked between Emma and the mayor, expecting them to go for each other's throats at any moment.

"She's my new deputy." The mayor really seemed about to murder someone. 

As she and Graham exchanged a few words, Alton whispered to Emma, "Congrats for your new job. I'm happy you're staying, Blondie." She smiled at him, before leaving when the mayor asked her to.

The dark-haired woman turned to him. "What are you still doing here?"

"I need to talk to you about what's in there," Alton replied. The mayor glared at him for three long seconds without saying a word. They stared into each other's eyes. It was like she was challenging him. Alton didn't want to look away. She would never scare him, and he wanted her to know it.

"Not right now. Do your job," she ordered. Before Alton could protest, she started talking to the crowd. Alton clenched his jaw before walking away to find Emmett and Marco. It's not over, he thought.

◘◙◘

Alton and Alexander had managed to reach the bars of the hole where they were trapped. The problem was finding a way to break them. They had tried to do so with Alexander's sword, but it didn't work.