Chapter 11

𝔅runch at 12 Grimmauld Place on a sunny Sunday morning was even less fun than what I had imagined it would be. If it were up to me, I would have spent this day someplace else instead, preferably in the courtyard or in Ashwell Cottage Garden. Unfortunately, I wasn't in charge of making such decisions and had no choice but to tag along with Father, Theodore and Louisa.

Now I was back in the deepest pits of hell, only this time there was no champagne and caviar, but fruits and all kinds of pastry in unlimited amounts. The guests wore their best and most colorful summer dress robes for the occasion, as though we were having a picnic at the park. It would have most likely made the whole experience more endurable if we weren't locked up in this dark and suffocatingly heated house.

I didn't understand why Walburga Black had to be the one to host such events almost every week when her brother's home was much more suitable for parties of any kind. But then again, Druella and Cygnus Black weren't half as important as Walburga was, so maybe that explained why they barely organized any gatherings in the first place.

"You look rather gloomy today, Felix. Are you all right?" she inquired in her unnerving voice. It sounded like the croak of a vulture, high-pitched and terribly harsh.

"I'm just tired." I realized my answer might have sounded too offhanded to her liking and I added, "Thank you for asking, Mrs. Black."

"My Regulus has not slept well these past few days, either. I heard he was up all night, pacing in circles in his room." Her answer caused my stomach to lurch, and I wished she would just keep her mouth shut, but she kept chanting tirelessly, "There must be something in the air, a change in the weather or such."

"Cygnus could not sleep much either," Druella chimed in. "Although, he had a large piece of cake before going to bed, so maybe that is why –"

Fake giggling erupted. I turned my attention away from them and let my gaze wander around in the sitting room. Regulus was nowhere to be seen. Whatever issue he and I had was still not solved, and we haven't talked since Wednesday evening. I didn't even attempt to reconcile with him, uncertain if I needed to take the first step or leave him alone until he was ready to come to me. I remained idle, but for how long I was going to wait without doing anything, I didn't know. I wasn't ready for another month of silent treatment; even these few days of not talking to him wearied me.

"Felix, would you mind playing the piano again?" Walburga snapped me out of my reverie. "It was so magnificent the last time, too. It has been quite many weeks since then, and I have not been able to get your music out of my head."

I couldn't help but stifle an annoyed sigh. I was not very keen on being the court jester and entertaining Walburga and her company. Father heard me sigh, and he sent me a stern glance, the incarnation of menace evident in the way he stood staring at me.

"Of course he will, won't you, boy?" he answered for me. "He's just loitering around doing nothing worthwhile... Go and make yourself useful already."

I returned his gaze and glared at him in resentment. We had never had a close relationship, but now that I knew why he wouldn't treat me as his son all these years, I could no longer consider him my father, either. I couldn't care less about him anymore, and the only reason I haven't told him that yet was because of Theo's frenzied request. I chose to obey his demand and withold the fact that I had found out the truth about our family.

"Right away, Father," I replied, more than a touch of sarcasm coloring my voice, "but only because you asked me so nicely."

"You mouthy little bumpkin..." I heard him growl as I made for the piano. He stayed with Druella and Walburga standing only a couple feet away; I could eavesdrop on their conversation without any difficulties.