Ready set?

Mirai stood near the UA gates, scrolling through her phone with a furrowed brow. Come on, where the heck was that guy? Ah, there he was. She looked up from her phone to see Midoriya running towards her, his green hair bouncing with each step.

"Izuku! Gods, where have you been? I was worried," she said, pocketing her phone as he approached.

"I'm sorry," Midoriya apologized, his cheeks flushed from the exertion. As they walked through the entrance, he lifted his head to take in the grandeur of the school, his eyes wide with wonder. "I can't believe I'm actually here."

"Yeah," Mirai nodded, a small smile tugging at her lips. "Pretty impressive, isn't it? I bet we'll see even more amazing things once we're inside."

"Mhm," Midoriya hummed in agreement, but his posture remained stiff, his hands gripping the straps of his yellow backpack as his face crinkled into a nervous frown.

Mirai studied him for a moment, "Come on, it's going to be fine," she reassured him, placing a gentle hand on his shoulder.

"M-Mhm..." Midoriya nodded, but he didn't seem the least bit convinced, his hand coming up to cover his mouth. Was it something he ate, or was it just nerves?

Suddenly, a harsh voice cut through the air. "Move it, Deku!"

Mirai frowned as Midoriya turned, his eyes widening. "Kacchan..."

Bakugou stalked past them, his red eyes narrowed and his jaw clenched. "Get out of my way unless you want to die," he growled.

Mirai quickly pulled Midoriya to the side, scowling at Bakugou's retreating back. This guy... what an omen, and they'd barely even started the day.

"Hey, isn't that Bakugou?" a bystander murmured, glancing at the blond. "You know, from the sludge villain incident?"

Mirai's eyebrows shot up. People were still talking about that? Now that she thought about it, ever since that day, Bakugou had been laying off Izuku a bit. But still, she turned to her friend, who remained frozen in place, his face pale. Even now, he was scared shitless by Bakugou, probably out of habit more than anything else.

Midoriya shook his head as if snapping himself out of a trance. Mirai glanced back at the school, the oh-so-grand institution that boasted the birth of countless high-level heroes. It wasn't just Bakugou who had changed since that fateful day - Midoriya had, too.

People were changing, evolving, growing...

She shook her head, pushing the thought aside. Don't dwell on it, she told herself. Just move along.

But as Midoriya took his first step forward, he tripped over his own feet. Mirai's heart leaped into her throat, but to her surprise, he didn't fall to the ground like he had so many times before as Mirai was a witness to many. Instead, he floated, suspended in midair by an unseen force.

A short-haired brunette girl stood beside him, her hand on his back. "Are you okay?"

Midoriya panicked, flailing his legs comically, but with the girl's help, he managed to regain his balance. The brunette smiled sweetly, pressing her hands together. "It's my quirk. Sorry for using it on you without asking, but it would have been bad luck if you'd fallen on the day of the exam, right?"

"Ah, no, not at all!" Mirai said, stepping forward with a grateful smile. "Thank you so much. That's an amazing quirk you have. I assume you're taking the exam for the hero course?"

The brunette nodded enthusiastically. "Mhm! You too? Oh, good luck!"

"You too, and thanks again!" They waved to each other as the brunette moved ahead, her short hair bouncing with each step.