2. The Past In My Present

The car ride to Nathan's house was nothing but silent. Besides the low melody from the radio playing, he and I didn't say a word to each other.
He would constantly glance at me sideways as he drove but he knew not to press me any further about the situation until I was ready to explain the excruciating details of everything but as soon as we entered his house he waisted no time with the questions.

"What happened?" Nathan was standing in front of me and I was sitting on the edge of his bed with my face buried in my hands.
I couldn't believe this. Any of it. Dallas was back in my life but not like I wanted him to be. He was now my stepbrother.

My ex boyfriend was my step brother.

"What did he say to you that's got you so upset ash?." Nathan begged me for answers. But I just didn't want to say any of it out loud. It would just mean that all of this was actually happening to me.

I remembered the first day I actually talked to Dallas It was the same day my mom had met Dallas's father, Don.

Mom and I were at our usual super market. She sent me to search for fresh carrots while she stood in the long line. While in the fruit and vegetable department I snuck a strawberry in my mouth while searching for carrots.

I giggled at my rebelliousness.

"Ahh the carrots." I spotted them but someone picked up the last batch and tossed it in his cart.
"Darn it!" I stomped.

A chuckle made me look up. It was Dallas. Dallas from school. He was on the basketball team, he was popular and was currently single. And chuckling at me.

I felt my cheeks warm up as I blushed at him. He was smiling at me. His brown eyes sparkled.
"We're you trying to get this?" He asked with an eyebrow raised, pointing at the carrots.

"Yeah,..but if you need it then go ahead,." I told him. "My mom is trying to make me eat carrots, I'm not doing that so keep them." I smiled.

He chuckled further leaning forward and grabbing the carrots out of his cart. He walked towards me and gently put the carrots in my hand.

"You should listen to your mom." He smirked. "Eat the carrots Ashlyn."

I didn't even know he knew my name. I smiled again and laughed to myself as he gave me one last smirk before walking away.

I was so happy I could die. I bet I looked like an idiot on my walk back to the line in the supermarket with this huge smile on my face but I couldn't help It, nor did I care. I was so Fricking happy.

I never thought I'd have a conversation with Dallas, but turns out, he wants me to eat my carrots. The entire situation was funny and it made me actually want to eat them.

"Ash?"

I looked up at Nathan who had an impatient look on his face. "You've got 5 seconds to start talking or I'm going back to that reception and asking that dick head what really happened."

And Nathan would definitely do it If I didn't start talking soon.

I sighed and stoop up.

"Where moving in together, as a family."
God those words didn't even feel right coming out of my mouth.

Nathan's mouth went into a o shape. "Damn." He shook his head and rubbed the back of his neck, something he always did when he was thinking about something. "Well you should have seen this coming."

I pressed my lips into a thin line. "He told me to let by Gones be by Gones, leave the past in the past." I shook my head remembering those awful words.