10. The Departure

Harry was taken to the hospital wing right after the incident. He couldn't get the images out of his head. Cedric was dead, and he felt like it was his fault for it.

Madam Pomfrey hurried toward Dumbledore who was still dragging Harry, with the others right behind.

"Oh godness! What ever has happened Albus?" She asked as she helped Harry to an empty bed.

"Later, Poppy. For now, let's help young mister Potter here."

"Honestly, you guys, I'm fine." He tried to convince them but it didn't seem to matter as they put him on the bed.

"I think it's best if you stay overnight, Harry. Just as a precaution."

"Precaution for what? Exactly what can happen that's worse than everything that already has?" Harry said curtly, though, not getting any reply.

His friends sat down next to him, not being able or knowing how to say anything in that moment. Madam Pomfrey placed a sleeping potion on the table next to the bed. "Drink that later, Mr Potter."

Dumbledore walked away from them together with madam Pomfrey.

"You must tell me, Albus. What happened at the final task?" She said, trying to be quite. However, the four students could still overhear.

"I'm affraid Mr Diggory has passed away. The dark lord is back, Poppy." She gasped when she heard the words that came out of Dumbledore's mouth.

Hermione, as well as the two redheads, looked at Harry when they overheard the conversation. He looked down at his hands which he had started fidgeting with, feeling the anxiety take over him, his whole body tightening.

They all saw how the mention of Cedric or the events of tonight effected him. Hermione reached out and put his hands in hers, stroking them with her thumb. His shoulders visually loosened by her touch, his eyes locked on their linked hands.

"Come on, Ron, we should go back to the common room." Ginny said as she stood up.

"What? Why? I don't wanna leave-" Ginny sent him a look which made him understand. "Oh, right. We'll be back tomorrow, Harry." He got up and left along with his sister.

Harry and Hermione were now alone in the room, though madam Pomfrey was right outside at her desk.

"How are you feeling?" Hermione finally said, breaking the silence.

"Fine." He said shortly.

Hermione stood up from her chair, causing their hands to disconnect. Harry looked up at her with a confused look on his face.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"Move over." She said.

"Sorry?"

"Move over. Or will I have to push you?" Harry, shocked by what she just said, moved to the left side of the bed, making space for Hermione.

She climbed in and looked at him, noticing the tear tracks on his cheeks. Instead of saying anything she just embraced him in a big hug, which he gladly returned. Her head laid perfectly in the crook of his neck.

Hermione could feel the tears starting to build up in her eyes. "I'm so glad you're okay." She whispered, and the breath on his neck made him shiver and he could feel the flutter. "If that would've been you instead of-" She decided not to say his name, recalling how he had previously reacted. 

He pulled away and looked at her, seeing the tears in her eyes gave him this feeling that he had to protect her from something. "Can't get rid of me that easily." He said, trying to lighten the mood. It caused Hermione to let out a little chuckle, the tears had now escaped her eyes and were slowly falling down her cheeks.