07

When years would pass by on an old standing tree, does it cries that his surroundings change except for him? Is he sad that he is stuck waiting for his death or waiting for someone who would cut his branches and twigs that ends his misery?

The old standing tree may have spent his whole life looking sad and lonely, for it stood there without anything except the leaves that fell to the ground and its roots sprouting out. Weather and time passed by him and he is just in one place without the choice of exploring the world.

Does he simply hate the fact that he is only a mere tree that can't experience the feeling of love and being in love?

Mula de Braganza is a famous farm here in Villa de Bacolor. And this tree where Joey and I carved our name together still standing after so many years had gone by. The famous tree in this farm, where it was called Leticia, had stood for more than two hundred years in this place.

It's the Tree of the West Lovers where if you carved your name into its trunks, you'll never be forgotten by your other half.

I asked her to watch the upcoming summer eclipse with me under the shade of Leticia, but she declined. She said that I am dumb crazy to believe those mythical beliefs and traditions.

I want to reply to her that I am desperate to use anything or any way so that this thing we have would last even if summer would end within two months.

Leticia and her are like the same. They stood still, branching their twigs and regrowing their leaves despite all the circumstances that they would undergo, and they would stay in the place where you would leave them.

Leticia is an enormous and old acacia tree. Whenever our family would visit the farm, I would run into this tree to look it up on how tall it is. Then, one of the old workers in the farm would always tell me the tale of Leticia and Sinukuan. It was a creepy, mythical and fictional long story but it was worth it to listen and nothing would be paid if you won't believe it.

I told her about the tale and she laughed at me. I said, 'Ganda mo', hoping she would not hear it. It was true that she looked so lovely while laughing.

It's not the physical thing that makes it heart warming, but the way her eyes are twinkling and her cheeks moving.

'Narinig ko iyon', you said after laughing so hard. And I acted confused to cover up the embarrassment I'm feeling. I've never confessed to anyone in my whole teenage life. I liked girls, but I've never met all of them in the past.

'Gago ka. Kaya mong makipag sex pero umamin hindi.'

'Y-you...'

'Hindi naman bago sa lahat ng 'yon. Sex na lang ata alam ng mga kabataan eh.'

I am awed at how vulgar you could get on me. You really impressed me with your small details little by little. The more I get to know you, the more I'm willing and ready to learn from you.

'Nagmahal ka na ba?' I asked.

You put your chin on your folded knees, "Hindi ka mapapansin ng pag-ibig." You answered while picking the carabao grass from the soil.

She is not the typical girl you would meet during summer. She won't be impressed by my flowery words and luxurious things. Instead, she wants a peaceful and comfortable life. One thing I know about at that moment is that she would never love me.

She would never accept my confession if I attempted on that day. Because it's not her priority, and there's too much going on in her life. And being in a relationship is not part of that long list. But I am still asking for the last time on that day. I gave so many hints and signs but you never bothered or you're too numb not to feel all of them.

And when I walk you home on the muddy road where our shoes touch, where the grass is dancing with the summer wind, where the sunset is saying hello, you told me those words that made my heart break in a blink of an eye.

You were facing me. And you sadly smile.

"Huwag mo naman akong pahirapan."

My love, my dear, my temple, my one and only, I'm sorry if I made everything difficult for you. It was hard that we were bound to let go of each other because we cannot escape the truth that summer would end as fast as lightning in the sky.

The color of your scrunches on your wrists that day was blue, and it corresponds to our feelings on that day, sad and chained.

Blue, because we were like the weeping sky who rains, the wild oceans who risk the waves, and the color of the flower I picked for you on the way to your home.

We've met your family and I was nervous because it was your family. Your mama asked who I am and you said I am the son of Gov Boni. A part of me doesn't like your answer, but I understand. All my life I am known as the reputable son of the famous old money family in the province.

You could've said that we are friends, since you just rejected me earlier. It was a simple family with a simple life. Four siblings and you are the eldest, and that's the reason where the pressure came from. You really are a strong girl, and I am proud of her.

She is like a second mother to her younger siblings, you could be a great wife in the future, I joked. And you punched me on the arm and told me that you won't get married.

Double rejection for me it was then. And you chuckled with what I said. 'Para matauhan ka, kailangan paulit-ulit sayo na sabihin na basted ka', you answered. She is becoming more mean as days go by, and I must admit also that her humor makes my gloomy days ten times better.

Joey is the friend you'll need when life is shoving his middle finger to your face, she knows how to make it better.

▪▪▪