Desert Mouse

Power over Spice is power over all

Imperial diary, year 10191. Third comment. 

The battle for Arrakis took everyone by surprise. There were no witnesses. The Harkonenn operation was perpetrated overnight, without warning or declaration of war. By morning, the Atreides were no more. All died in the dark. 

And the Emperor said...nothing. 

Since that night, my father has not been the same. Nor have I. His inaction is difficult for me to accept, for I know he loved Duke Leto Atreides like a son. But my father's always been guided by the calculus of power. This would not be the first time the Harkonnens have done his dirty work. 

In the shadows of Arrakis lie many secrets, but the darkest of them all may remain. The end of House Atreides.

---

Sitting in the stilltent, Paul sorted through a fremkit they'd managed to rescue from the wreckage of the 'thopter. "Sand compacter. Paracompass. Thumper. Maker hooks, whatever those are. But no stillsuits. Whoever left us this fremkit gave us everything except the one thing we actually need."

Then he found a velvet pouch and opened it with cautious hands. He pulled out the enclosed note and unfolded it. "This is Dr. Yueh's handwriting! 'If anyone makes it out of Arrakeen alive, there's an Atreides beacon in the fremkit. God willing, they'll be able to find you.'"

Then he pulled out his father's signet ring and Jessica choked back a sob.

Paul's breath trembled. "There's Spice in the tent."

"Muad'dib! Muad'dib!"

The girl reached out her hand, gesturing to the massacre happening before them.

"Muad'dib! Muad'dib!"

A figure sliced through his opponents, killing every single one of them. He turned his head, and Paul saw his own face.

"Muad'dib! Muad'dib!"

Soldiers cheered as Paul watched them, his Spice-blue eyes surveying the war-torn battlefield.

"Paul..." Jessica's voice trailed off when he turned to glare at her, shocked by the intensity of fear in his eyes.

"There's something awakening in my mind."

"What do you see?"

"A holy war spreading across the universe like unquenchable fire. A warrior religion that waves the Atreides banner. Fanatical legions worshipping at the shrine of my father's skull. A crusade. In my name. My name. That's the future. It's coming. A war in my name. Everyone shouting my name."

He sounded half-mad, and Jessica grabbed his shoulders out of instinct. "Your name is Paul. Paul Atreides. You are Duke Paul Atreides."

"Get off me!"

Jessica stumbled back.

"You did this to me! You Bene Gesserit made me a freak!"

Jessica slowly pulled him towards her and he buried his face in her shoulder as he sobbed.

---

Kynes watched as Harkonnen soldiers paraded through Arrakeen, Duke Leto's head atop a battle standard, their flags hanging from the walls.

"KYNES!"

She turned to see Duncan Idaho climbing out of a 'thopter and her hand instinctively went to her crysknife. "It's not safe for you here."