Chapter 6

The Bravo 7 detectives went on their respective quests for information leading towards the retrieval of the statue and the apprehension of its murderous thieves. Wolverton's section remained in the office, awaiting Greider's list of O'Dwyer VLe knockoff components from its original inventors and patent holders Metal Storm in Brisbane and possible suppliers and purchasers of them within the state. Hogan decided that some measure of strength had to be visually projected to Lelia Mertice-Lindley while looking into her recent widowing, and had his section suit up in their tactical uniforms before driving south to Barnstable. Dillard checked the online state business register for smaller independent art galleries, figuring that reputable art dealers might have better insight into the world of art theft for his section. The list contained about two dozen such galleries dedicated to artwork in the Commonwealth, with three or four apiece in and around Springfield and Worcester. After placing phone calls to the Hampden and Worcester Detective Units to get those galleries checked up on, Dillard split the list into three roughly equal parts for his section to check out. Reeves and Kalman rolled out to the Garratay Gallery in Newton for their first interview, Landreth and Doherty headed for the Underwood Art House in Easton, and Dillard and Gorynski picked the Henningsen Gallery in Burlington.

Marissa Henningsen, the gallery's owner, was in Dillard's age bracket, but even with her collection of smile lines on her cheeks and at the corners of her eyes she still retained a bouncy sweetness in her friendly expression that could help her pass for Kirsten Dunst's sister. She offered her hand as Dillard and Gorynski entered the gallery with Posse Boxes under their arms. "Welcome to my gallery, gentlemen. Exactly what are you in the market for?" She waved towards a painting-adorned alcove to her right. "We're currently offering some lovely impressionist work by Cikovsky."

"We're more interested in the works of Constantin di Fiorenzo, ma'am. Unfortunately, I doubt you take Institutional Gold," Dillard said, he and Gorynski opening their badge wallets and showing their contents to her. "I'm Lieutenant Dillard, this is Detective Gorynski, State Police Bravo Seven. We're investigating the theft of the Crystal Muse from the MFA Grand Reopening party and need to ask you some questions."

"That would explain the theft warning notification Artrack put up when I logged on this morning." She pressed a hand to her chest. "I hope you don't think..."

"Don't worry," Dillard assured her, "you're not a suspect. We just need to know some more about Constantin di Fiorenzo and his works."

She smiled again. "Oh, of course." She showed them to her desk in an unadorned corner of the display areas, where the detectives sat down in the provided guest chairs and her behind the desk. "Exactly what kind of artwork does di Fiorenzo specialize in?" Dillard asked, after adjusting his M-2016 so it didn't dig into his side as badly, opening up his own Posse Box, and uncapping an erasable pen to take notes.

She closed her eyes briefly to think. "Conni di Fiorenzo started out primarily with abstract and avante garde paintings back around 1997. Initially he tried to convey the struggle of the creative spirit against the anti-cultural oppression of conventional society. I believe that has remained his usual focus throughout his career."

Dillard scribbled it down on his notepad. "How well received were they?"

Another smile creased Marissa's face. "Strangely enough, quite well." She turned to the computer on her desk and typed some keystrokes. "The Stand Against Normalcy, his third painting, originally sold for ninety thousand dollars in 1998. That would be close to half a million today." She spun her monitor around to display a graphic reproduction of the painting in question from an online computer database calling itself Artrack; not being an art major, Dillard couldn't make heads or tails out of it. She spun it back around and typed some more. "His last work sold was Terpsichore's Trial back in 2011 for two hundred thousand."