𝟹𝟻. ᴜɴɴᴀᴛᴜʀᴀʟ

TW: mention of injuries, death

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

One whole day. It took one day for Jordyn to regain consciousness.

The dust was still swirling around the area and the trail of blood was fresh when her parents arrived at the scene. They had found her body buried under the debris of the semi-collapsed house, having to dig her free. The first look at their daughter brought tears to their eyes. Bloodied and bruised, her hair matted with the blood from the back of her head, which was profusely bleeding. Her facial features sunken, she looked absolutely exhausted – the color had left her face completely.

She looked dead.

Craig had broken out in more tears when he checked her pulse. Tears of relief. She was alive.

The couple had struggled to move the dresser pinning her arms, but as they did, it revealed a gory scene. Eliana had to puke. Luckily, Craig managed to push his feelings aside and focus on saving the life of his little girl. He stopped various bleedings, momentarily stabilized her and carried her to the car, from where Eliana drove them to the hospital.

At the same time, they were on a call with Donald. They couldn't tell him what had happened, as they hadn't taken a good look, but they were sure it was connected to him and the bionics. There was no way a random stranger would have done this to Joe; they must have had a purpose. Donald had immediately promised the family to pack his things and make his way over.

In the hospital, a flurry of nurses and doctors swarmed around Joe. She became the number one priority for everyone. Never in their life had they dealt with such injuries. The doctors had exchanged bewildered glances and scrutinized the parents. They relented upon seeing their panic and distress.

As Jordyn remained unconscious, she underwent an arrangement of tests to assess the extent of her injuries.

Eliana and Craig waited anxiously in the corridor outside the ICU, their hearts breaking for their child. What monster would do something like that?

It was the early hours of the next morning when a nurse woke the pair for news: Jordyn had been successfully stabilized but her condition remained unsure. Emergency surgery was necessary to address a brain injury.

Throughout the day, Jordyn's family trickled in, each face etched with concern, albeit mixed with confusion. Eliana and Craig had no idea how to explain the situation to the family, and according to their exchange with Donald, they shouldn't.

As the late afternoon sun mingled with the fluorescent lighting of the hospital, a nurse asked the family to relocate. They were directed to a waiting room adjacent to a patient one, a window allowing to look inside. Soon, the surgery was finished and Jordyn lay alone in the bed; her family not allowed to enter and limited to the window.