Chapter Three

"What's your favorite season?" Murphy and Lando had been asking each other random questions for nearly an hour now, neither seeming bored in the slightest yet.

"I like something about all of them, I can't pick a favorite." Lando shrugged. "What about you?"

"Summer, definitely. But I like getting to wear the big sweaters comfortably in the winter, too."

They had been sitting on the beach for a while now and had watched the sun set and the stars begin their overtake of the sky. When they sat down together, they had maintained a respectable distance between each other, since they had only met that night. Somewhere along the lines of the night, though, they had shifted until they were close together and that distance only closed further as the temperatures began to cool further due to the lack of sunlight.

"If you could drop everything that you are doing in life right now with no consequences, what would you do?" The boy questioned Murphy after another few minutes of content silence.

"I want to travel, specifically outside of the country. I mean, America is huge so most people never leave because there are so many places to go without having to leave the country, but I want to get to see the lives and perspectives of people in different cultures and see the things that they live close to. You know?"

Lando swore at this point there must be cartoon hearts in the place of his eyes because in the matter of the few hours that he had known Murphy, he knew he would never meet another girl that could even compare to her.

"So please explain to me how a girl like you ends up with a proper moron like the grocery store guy."

"I mean, it was when I was in high school... so like... four years ago because I'm turning twenty three this year. I was extremely insecure-"

"That's crazy on its own, but continue." Lando inserted his opinion quickly with a grin, noticing the blush that painted her cheeks but deciding not to comment on it.

"He was one of the first guys that ever really paid attention to me like in a romantic way. He was super cute to me at the time and so I just decided to go with it." Murphy admitted with a shrug.

"These American guys are stupid." Lando huffed and dragged his hands down his face, giggling a little when Murphy knocked shoulders with him. "Come on, MK! You have to have know that you are insanely beautiful."

"I mean, I am confident with the way I look now but I wasn't at the time. I still don't think I am anything to brag about."

"Nothing to brag about?!" Lando was about to continue on his mission to make Murphy Kate understand the beauty she possessed when she wrapped her arms around his right arm which had been very close to her for a while now, and snuggled into it.

"Shush, Lan." Murphy laughed as she moved closer to the Brit, he only leaned his head down on hers in response.

While the pair continued to sit in silence on the now dark beach, Murphy just tried to figure out what in the literal hell she was doing. She was sitting by herself on a dark beach with a man that was essentially a stranger.

"MK?"

"Mhm?"

"Does this feel like unnaturally easy to you? Like the way we can just talk about almost anything." Lando asked the girl in a quiet, vulnerable voice.

"Don't overthink it, Lando. Just live in the moment and see where it takes you." Murphy answered in a sleepy voice from where she was cuddled against his strong shoulder.

~

And so, that night set the tone for the rest of their time together during Lando's self proclaimed "vacation from reality." Lando arrived in the small beach town in early September and it was now the first week of October.