Chapter 2: Echoes of the Past

Amelia's heart pounded in her chest as the eerie, shadowy figure advanced, its movements slow and deliberate. She gripped the cast-iron skillet tighter, her knuckles turning white, as she tried to will her feet to move, to flee from this terrifying presence.

But something held her in place, a morbid curiosity that kept her rooted to the spot. Who – or _what_ – was this twisted, distorted creature that had invaded her family's beloved coffee shop?

As the figure drew closer, Amelia caught a glimpse of its features, and she felt a chill run down her spine. The sunken, hollow eyes, the gaping mouth frozen in a silent scream – it was unlike anything she had ever seen. This was no ordinary intruder; this was something...otherworldly.

Amelia opened her mouth, desperate to call out, to summon help, but the words caught in her throat, strangled by her own fear. She could feel the weight of the skillet in her hand, the cool metal a comforting anchor in the face of the unknown.

Just as the figure was about to reach her, a voice suddenly pierced the eerie silence.

"Amelia, get back!"

Amelia whirled around to see Late, his eyes wide with terror, rushing towards her. Without hesitation, he grabbed her arm and pulled her behind him, shielding her with his own body.

The shadowy figure paused, its head cocking to the side as if considering this new obstacle. Amelia peered around Late's shoulder, her heart pounding in her ears, as the creature let out a low, unearthly growl.

"Late, what is that thing?" Amelia whispered, her voice trembling.

Late's grip on her arm tightened. "It's one of them," he breathed. "The spirits of the baristas who were taken."

Amelia felt a surge of nausea rise in her throat. So the whispers and rumors were true – her family's coffee shop had a dark, horrific history. The thought made her stomach churn.

The figure let out another guttural sound, its eyes fixed on Amelia and Late. Amelia could feel the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end, the air around them thick with tension.

"Late, we need to get out of here," Amelia said, her voice barely above a whisper. "We need to call the police, or –"

"No!" Late interrupted, his voice sharp. "We can't involve the authorities. They won't understand, they can't help us."

Amelia stared at him, bewildered. "What do you mean? Late, what's going on here?"

Late shook his head, his eyes darting around the room as if searching for a way out. "It's a long story, Amelia, one that goes back generations. But you have to trust me – the police can't protect us from what's haunting this place."

Amelia opened her mouth to protest, but the sudden sound of shattering glass made her jump. She whirled around to see the figure lurching towards them, its movements now more frantic, more _violent_.