Chapter 7. Where Magic Was Born

As the creature lunged towards us with a guttural roar, a cold spike of fear pierced through me. Alexi reacted swiftly, slamming their hands onto the ground. The earthen floor beneath us rippled like water, and a thick wall of stone surged up, blocking the doorway and shielding us from the Gravalkin's immediate threat. Its powerful claws scraped against the stone barrier, sending a shower of sparks into the air as it snarled in frustration. The sounds of its thwarted attacks reverberated through the chamber, a stark reminder of the danger just inches away.

Behind the safety of the stone wall, I felt a momentary relief wash over me, but it was quickly replaced by a cold dread. The barrier wouldn't hold forever against such a relentless assault. Peering around the edge, I watched the creature's massive form press against the stone, its eyes burning with a malevolent intelligence. Alexi stood firm, their expression stoic as they prepared for the next phase of their defense, hands ready to reshape the earth at a moment's notice. My own heart hammered in my chest, the reality of my vulnerability striking deep. "We need a plan," I whispered, hoping my voice didn't betray the fear that gripped me.

Thilo, his expression grave, nodded in agreement. "We can't stay here indefinitely," he murmured, his voice barely audible over the sound of the creature's relentless assault. "But if we retreat without a plan, it will only pursue us. We need a way to neutralize it." His eyes scanned the room, searching for any potential advantage we could exploit. "Jane," he said, turning to me, "you know this creature better than any of us. Is there anything we can use against it?

Thilo's words snapped me out of my momentary paralysis. I swallowed hard, wracking my brain for any scrap of knowledge that could help us. "It's... it's vulnerable to light," I stammered, recalling a detail from the depths of my memory. "Maybe we can blind it somehow, buy us some time to regroup and come up with a plan."

"Light, you say? Let's give it more than it bargained for," Alexi murmured, glancing at the dimly lit lanterns with a spark of tactical insight. They circled wide, avoiding direct confrontation while channeling energy to the earthen walls, maneuvering around the creature, keeping a safe distance, their hands weaving through the air with practiced ease. The earthen walls of the room shimmered briefly as Alexi summoned the latent metals within the stone, amplifying the dim light from our lanterns into a sudden, blinding flare that filled the chamber. As the creature reeled from the assault, Alexi seized the moment to advance. They planted their feet firmly on the ground, drawing from the earth's energy with a stomp that echoed through the chamber. The ground beneath the beast trembled and split, creating a fissure that briefly ensnared its limbs. Alexi's mastery over the element was evident, their focus unyielding as they prepared for the final blow.

With the creature momentarily incapacitated, Alexi turned to us, their eyes scanning quickly to ensure we were unharmed. "Stay back," they commanded. Suddenly, the beast lunged forward in a desperate attempt to escape, its claws flailing wildly. Instinctively, I pushed a historian behind me, using the cloak of protection I had been given to shield us. The creature's claw managed to slice through the magical fabric, grazing my back with a sharp pain that jolted through my body. I barely had time to process the sting before Alexi acted, pulling a sharp, jagged spike of rock from the ground and hurling it directly at the creature's exposed underbelly.

The rock spike pierced through the air with lethal precision, embedding itself into the creature's body. A guttural howl erupted from the Gravalkin as it staggered back, its movements becoming sluggish, its life force visibly waning. Alexi advanced cautiously, ready to deliver the final blow. With a swift motion, they summoned another earthen spike, this time driving it directly into the creature's heart. The monster's roars dimmed into whimpers before it collapsed onto the cold marble floor, lifeless.

As the threat subsided, the adrenaline that had surged through my veins began to ebb, leaving a sharp sting in its wake. I felt a warm trickle down my back where the creature's claw had managed to breach the cloak. The pain intensified, a stark reminder of the close call. "You're hurt," Alexi observed, their tone softened by concern. Quickly, they retrieved a small vial from their belt, a healing potion shimmering with a faint blue glow. "Drink this, it will help with the wound," they instructed, handing me the potion. I nodded, the cool liquid easing the burning sensation as it took effect, knitting the torn flesh together with a tingling sensation.