Chapter 29

Tomas Vrbada allowed his body to shift to smoke as he remained in the shadows. He rode on the wind to help him where he needed to be. It had taken him a while to leave the Shirai Ryu compound. He didn't want anyone to know about his relationship with a certain, violet-eyed beauty. Sakura was his most precious treasure and his heart's secret. Given the situation between the Shirai Ryu and the Lin Kuei, the fewer the people knew about her, the better. He was already risking everything by being in a relationship with her. He even risked Kuai Liang's displeasure, not that he cared. Gods, she was so wonderful and divine. She was so perfect, and all his. It was all worth it.

He remembered having to test her to see if she was fit to be a champion. He wasn't a fool to allow her obvious charms to get in the way of her initiation. She had proven to be a formidable kombatant. The way she had given all three Lin Kuei warriors a run for their money had been nothing short of impressive. She was light and quick on her feet and her strikes were quite painful. Even after all that, the smoke-user had been charmed by her kind and beautiful spirit. It was rare, very rare, to come across someone like her. It made Tomas feel very protective of her.

It was only just after Bi-Han's betrayal that they had become close. Sakura had been there for him to offer her support and companionship, so it had hurt Tomas when he and Kuai Liang had been forced to flee to Japan. It was only by chance that they had met again there. It was when she had welcomed him back with a kiss that sealed the deal. Everything else was history.

In the year after the breakdown between timelines, Tomas had spent whatever free time that he had to see his beloved. His brother had questioned him about his whereabouts. On top of vague generalities, he didn't give any indication of where he was going or where he had been. It was already bad enough that Kuai Liang had questioned his resolve and his loyalty.

In the long run, it didn't really matter. Tomas was planning to leave the Shirai Ryu for good. He was tired of all of the fighting between clans and wanted to live his life on his own terms. There was a woman who wanted him and loved him without question. He didn't care if being with her before marriage was improper. In his and Sakura's mind, they were already wedded.

Arriving at his destination, Tomas slipped through Sakura's bedroom window, where she waited for him. He was home.