Chapter 1

I had planned everything perfectly. This is how the plan is supposed to go; Kollin apprehends the assailant, he gets praised for stopping the assailant, he gets trusted by the people, I hand him the throne and I go on my merry way out of this damned castle. Simple enough right? Well, that's what I thought too.

I enter my office with a drink in hand. The dark and cold atmosphere of the room dissipating as I open the door. As I entered the room, a voice greeted me.

"You hired the assassin?" Kollin asked coldly, while I jumped in surprise. "What the hell?!" I shouted, dispelling the fire magic I was about to launch into his face.

"The guy you hired was a fucking coward, confessed the moment I caught him. What are you up to now?" He added, his arms crossed over his chest while looking at me with a dissapointed face.

I sigh, "Okay. First of all, you aren't allowed in my office. Second, I did not hire some cheap assassin. If I did, I wouldn't pick such a lousy moron who can't even keep his mouth shut." Glaring at him, I sat on my desk with my arms crossed, mimicking my general.

"Apologies for my rudeness your Imperial Majesty. However,  I'd like to point out that, I am allowed in this room. Your attendant gave me permission last week. As for the assassin, he gave me this." He paused, tossing me a pin. It was a round silver pin, with a crown and a sword as the symbol. "It's the pin that was given to you by Duke Zayrik as a gift."

I scoff, "This–" Tossing the pin back to him. "–is not mine. Did you forget that I rejected the duke's present? Ostyn even warned us not to get too close with the duke. If you want to blame me for something, make sure your evidence is actually correct." Kollin got silent as I finished. I knew he was wary of me, but not to the point where he'll accuse me of something I clearly did.

'Ugh, stupid assassin. I need to pay him a short visit later..' I thought, rolling my eyes as Kollin just stood there looking at the pin.

He closed his eyes momentarily then sighed, "Apologies Your Imperial Highness, I shall atone for my sin with my life." He kneels then unsheathed his sword, putting against his neck.

"Stop, you moron" I commanded. "That's not necessary. Just make sure to visit the culprit later, deal with him quietly. Do not make this stupid mistake again, understood?" He nodded, sheathing his sword and announcing his leave.

As the door closed, I heaved a sigh of relief. 'Almost got caught..' I thought, the door opens again and my attendant's blond head pokes through.

"Pardon my intrusion, Your Imperial Majesty. I need you to sign a couple documents brought by Marquis Haltin." He bows as he walked through the door, putting a small stack of papers onto my desk. "Gil, any update on Fozenshade?" I ask, pouring myself a glass of alcohol.

I drank a large gulp of the alcohol, 'Oh that hit the spot!'. "None, Your Imperial Majesty. However, I have received intel that they are holding a gathering in a week. The members have said that the guildmaster must be working with someone within the palace as they saw a person with the pin of Duke Zayrik on their cloak." Gil informed, placing the report onto my desk.

"Quietly tighten the security, make sure no one takes notice of this except the knights." I ushered him out of the room while he gave me a dissapproving look.

'Can't say I blame him, he's been suspicious of me ever since I asked about Fozenshade and now Zayrik has gotten into the mix.' Everything has been slowly falling into place. All that's left is to find the perfect chance to announce my dethronement.

I get up, lazily walking over to the small couch just beside my desk. I lay down, covering my face up with a book and drifted off to sleep.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=