Amita

As she climbed down the steep stairs leading her to the depths of her neighborhood - nothing more than just squeezed houses with their crooked rooftops and narrow roads near the Market Square - Amita debated whether she should go home or run straight into the sea and let it decide her future.

But even then, she feared drifting back to the problem stubbornly clinging onto her.

'Not now.' Amita shrugged a vine off her shoulder, urging it to go back from where it had sprouted, wishing she could get rid of the tribulations hanging over her head just as smoothly.

The Bharati were a haunted family and the source of their ailments persisted to cloud their days even with a sea in between them. Well, at least between Amita and her mother because her brother was visiting from the hell they escaped from, and he had come eager to take their mother away from Hisea. She couldn't bear the thought of seeing her in the land where that monster lived, where he ruined not only her life but theirs as a family. Why waste all their efforts of renewal now?

Amita tried to recall her memories of Arda, a mistake she made more often than she should because all they carried was the same old fear, anger and repulse for a land that could have meant much more. That should have meant much more. Going back was like feeding a fire with an inflammable combination of unpleasant feelings only for Amita to spend a great deal of time simmering it down.

Corrosive as they were, Amita couldn't bring herself to wish her memories to be gone for good - part of her fearing not knowing her own story. She figured it would make her existence even smaller in a world that was already too big as it was.

She forced such thoughts away as she spotted her neighbor, Miss Lara. She was Konstantina's age and had offered help to Amita and her mother several times since they had arrived in Hisea. Amita remembered meeting her with trembling hands, but the woman pretended not to notice and exhibited a comforting smile even when everyone else did not.

Miss Lara had many marks on her skin, much darker than her natural skin tone, a consequence of the time spent at the market under the constant sunlight, selling her flowers and arrangements. At least that was what she had told Amita years ago when she politely asked about them which now seemed more of a farse to conceal the real reason behind those scars. Everybody had secrets buried deep within them and many that shall never see the daylight. Even if they attempted to emerge.

'You seem a little bit down, Amita. Was your day that bad?' She asked, her green eyes taking in the weariness Amita couldn't erase from her face.

'I think I just need to rest. It's all. How about you, Miss Lara? You have your hands full!' She attempted a shift of focus, away from her and her problems.

Miss Lara removed a flower from a basket she carried underneath her arm, a Hydrangea with its petals a bright blue. 'Sagara sent us a few seeds and look how beautiful they turned out! I think you, being our Jörd princess, should get to see our Hydrangeas first.'

'I am nowhere near an earth princess, but I confess you made my day much better with this.' She accepted the Hydrangea, smelling its delicate petals that rejoiced at her touch.

'I have never seen nature react to anyone as it reacts to you. I do hope you consider my proposal to see our fields. Let me know when you feel like accompany me!' Someone called from the end of the road and Miss Lara replied with another shout. 'Must go now. I want a smile on that face!'

She waved her free hand at Amita who waved back before turning to the frustrating entrance door of her house. With the flower in between her lips, she turned the key on the lock and heaved the door up before pushing it so it would open without breaking.