Chapter 4

I awake in a cold sweat. My hair sticks to my forehead and my entire body seems to be melting. Beads of sweat trickle off of my body, soaking the mattress I lie on.

I taste only acid. Copper mingled with vomit. With each swallow, I struggle against the rolling tide of nausea.

Every movement is full of effort I'm not sure I can give right now. My limbs are heavy, as though they are filled with lead.

The weight of exhaustion hits me, pushing me to stay down. Every fiber of my being aches. I struggle to push myself up, my arms shaking underneath my weight.

My hands massage my wrists, wondering if the chains were ever really there. The memory lingers like a phantom though, daring me to stop believing in it.

It taunts me as it appears out of the shadows, along with the rest of the ghosts.

It's always been told that this house was haunted, but nobody would dare to admit it was by memories. The memories that have taken place inside the white walls. The paintings watch you with their traveling eyes, daring you to trip on the same part of the rug that they did lifetimes ago. The secrets you learn and are forced to hold dear. The sacrifices you'll have to make, simply because of the choice of a man who shares your blood.

I find a bell beside my bed and shakily ring it. Tinkling fills the quiet.

A moment later, the door opens and Sofia pokes her tiny frame inside. Her warmth enters the room before she does. The atmosphere lightened with her presence.

She moves cautiously, taking timid, slow steps.

The air stills as I watch her dance.

Her body moves smoothly, but there's still a stiffness to it that she usually doesn't contain. She offers a gentle smile as she stops beside my body.

With a gentle touch, she brushes a wet strand of hair away from my face. Her hand lingers on my cheek, her eyes gazing into mine with care.

"You're safe now," she speaks softly, her voice ringing like the bell.

And I believe her. I trust her. I've always trusted her.

Throughout the twists and turns of this journey, Sofia has always been a strong presence. In her, I've found not only a friend but also a twin flame.  Our bond, forged through endless laughter and tears, is unbreakable.

"I'm so sorry I wasn't here to protect you." Her voice trembles with emotion as she speaks. I can see the pain etched into the lines of her face.

Her vulnerability is apparent in the quiet silence of the room. "I should have been there." Her voice drips with remorse.

In the quiet, I extend my hand to her. We both fall silent as my hand goes into hers. A feeling of peace washes over me as our fingers entwined.

"If only I had been here," she whispered, her words powerless against the past. My efforts to stop her from dwelling on it were futile. I could only manage a weak squeeze of her hand, exhaustion still clinging to me. My eyelids drooped heavily, the fear of disappearing upon their closure looming over me. Was this moment merely a dream, a transition to the afterlife already underway?

She returned the squeeze of my hand, a reassurance that I still existed. She is a shield against the phantoms.

In her hand, I feel safe. She pulls me out of the maze I thought I'd be forever lost in. She makes the darkness seem not so deep.

Its grip on me is no longer suffocating, loosening as hers tightens. "How long was I out?"

"Only for a few hours," Sofia responds, her eyes reflecting concern. "You needed the rest."