Chapter 3 Ebony and Silver

Aiz stood in the library, impatience filling her body. She checked the clock on the far wall, it read 10:34 am. 'She's late.' Riveria her false... pseudo-mother was late; she was never late as her pride as an Alf wouldn't allow it.

Aiz started pacing in circles around the main central table where Riveria taught the novice mages. "Riveria is always here at 9:30. Where is she? Does it have something to do with what happened at the pub last night?" She muttered; the only other sound was her boots clacking across the floor.

Last night, something she wouldn't forget anytime soon. A novice stood up to Bete, she didn't mind as Bete was starting to grow on everyone's nerves with his insistence on insulting that elf. 'Why did they seem so familiar? Why did Riveria of all people get angry? She even helped that novice again, despite everything.'

Aiz felt so confused as to why things were happening, and she wanted to know. 'Where are you, Riveria? I should've been in the dungeon by now.'

Just as that thought crossed her mind, she heard the door to the library clicking open. She watched the door slide open revealing the emerald-haired elf. "Riveria." Her voice passed through the library quietly.

Riveria's emerald eyes snapped to Aiz. "Strange to see you here. Did you want something?" Aiz watched as Riveria rubbed at the bridge of her nose, a normal sign that she had a headache.

Still, Aiz nodded, "Who was that elf?" Her question was sudden and abrupt. She never liked to bother with small talk, it was always easier to get straight to the point.

Riveria seemed to observe her for a long moment before eventually sighing. "Does it really matter? They were someone I used to know."

Aiz shook her head, "That doesn't answer the question." Her long golden hair seemed to shimmer in the light coming from the windows.

Riveria narrowed her eyes slightly. "Listen Aiz, I can understand your curiosity. But I promised not to reveal who they were. They've already had an extremely hard several years. Now this is the end of the conversation. Please? I already have a headache from dealing with Bete last night, and as a result, I didn't get much sleep." She rubbed the bridge of her nose again and took a few steps into the library.

She must've noticed Aiz's dissatisfaction, as she sighed. "Listen Aiz. If it ever becomes relevant, I will be sure to tell you." Aiz's mood dropped like a rock in the ocean. So, she started marching her way out of the library. "Oh, Aiz." Riveria's voice stopped her immediately, "Both Loki and Finn have forbidden you from entering the dungeon for a few days as you need to rest. If you want to make sure to go ask them."

Aiz clenched her hand tightly, then took a deep breath. "Fine..." As she left the library without another word.

X

Riveria looked at the now closed door. She wanted to collapse into the nearby chair but resisted the urge. She glanced at the library around her, all the knowledge that it contained yet it was so seldomly used. Only Riveria and those she taught ever entered this section of Twilight Manor.

Still, as much as she loved the hundreds of books that surrounded her, she couldn't stop her mind from wandering. 'Lion... why are you growing active now? After so many years... is it due to that boy? I know you said they remind you of Lovell... but is that the only reason?'

She let herself remember how the boy acted the night before at the Hostess. 'No... I can see it. That sense of justice... that ingrained sense of honesty and refusal to let what Bete said go. He really is just like her.' She couldn't help but wonder what the city would be like if they were still around.