Favorite

All my life I walked behind the crowd. Constantly a second thought to everyone; even my family. I hid my feelings because they never mattered to anyone. I was never invited to places. I was never remembered until they were looking at me. Just keep smiling and they'll like you. I'm no one's favorite.

...

I always start my morning sitting in silence and staring at the wall for what feels like an hour. No thinking, no noise, just silence. When I'm awake enough to function I turn on my music and pick an outfit; not that anyone ever notices the effort I put in. I like it best when no one's home in the morning. I get to be as loud as I want without disrupting anyone else.

At school, my eyes dart in every direction noticing everyone. He's worn the same sweater all week. She got new shoes. I've never seen him before.

Their conversations flood into my ears as I walk by. Did you see... Want to go to... I missed you...

No one missed me.

I'm not a loner necessarily; I have friends, but not good ones. We talk in class and some will say hi if I see them in the halls, but at lunch, I sit alone in my car. When it's windy I sit on the roof of the school; I love the wind. No one texts me. No one needs me.

...

The forecast calls for strong winds today. I'm glad because I've been extra tired this week. I could barely keep a smile on my face.

When lunch rolled around I headed upstairs to the roof. Technically I'm not supposed to be up here but I've never been caught.

I sat down near the edge and put my headphones on. Born to Die by Lana Del Ray filled my ears with a calm I desperately needed. I closed my eyes and felt the wind against my skin; a smile slowly forming on my lips.

I was so absorbed in my music that I didn't notice someone following me to the roof. It wasn't until he tapped my knee that I noticed him. He had sat down next to me and was smiling at me. I took off my headphones and turned my attention to him.

"Hi" - Jeno

"Hi" - Jaemin

"I'm sorry if I startled you. I noticed you coming up here, so I followed you." - Jeno

"That's alright, I'm technically not supposed to be up here so you have to keep it a secret." - Jaemin

"Happily" - Jeno

It was weird. He didn't try to talk to me the entire time, he just sat with me until the bell rang. I kind of liked the company.

"I didn't get your name" - Jaemin

"I'm Jeno"

"Nice to meet you, I'm Jaemin"

...

As the days passed, Jaemin and Jeno's friendship blossomed. They found solace in each other's company, sharing their thoughts, dreams, and fears as they sat together on the school roof, away from the noise and distractions of the world below.

One afternoon, as the wind whispered through the air, Jaemin and Jeno found themselves back on the familiar rooftop. The sun was beginning to set, casting a warm glow over the city skyline.

As they sat side by side, their shoulders touching, Jaemin felt a rush of emotions swirling inside him. He turned to look at Jeno, whose eyes sparkled in the fading light.

Without a word, Jeno leaned in, closing the distance between them. Their lips met in a gentle kiss, the wind swirling around them like a silent witness to their love.

In that moment, as they held each other close, Jaemin felt a sense of peace wash over him. He realized that he had found not only love but also acceptance and understanding in Jeno's arms.

As they pulled away, their foreheads touching, Jaemin whispered, "Thank you for finding me, Jeno. For seeing me when no one else did."

Jeno smiled softly, his hand reaching out to intertwine with Jaemin's. "I'll always be here for you, Jaemin. Together, we'll create our own quiet world where love and peace reign."

And as they watched the sun dip below the horizon, casting the sky in shades of pink and gold, Jaemin knew that he had found his home in the heart of the boy sitting beside him.

Maybe I was somebody's favorite.