Moving House

Life had never been fair to me, I was aware of that.

Having your parents die at an early age really makes you aware of that.

A horrible accident, a drunk driver. The seven year old in the back was the only survivor.

How kind of fate.

My aunt Vivien and her family took me in afterwards. They were sweet and coddled me, treated me like glass about to break. Kids did the same at school, none of them uttered the words portraying parents towards me.

Violet understood me. She always had a certain darkness around her. I had always wanted a sister, so it wasn't all bad. Silver lining and all.

Life was alright. Definitely could be better. But I was in the town where I was born, I could always visit my parents' grave after school. Buried together, forever.

Of course, Vivien was sad when she lost the baby, so not everyone was happy. But she got a dog, so at least she had it. Life was okay….

Then that whore cheated on his wife. With his student.

FREAKING student.

Not much older than Violet and I.

C'mon man.

In a desperate bid to keep his marriage together, Ben uprooted us from Boston all the way to Los Angeles.

Leading us to now.

The drive to Los Angeles is slow, it's dragging on and on, the tension in the car thick. “The light is different out here. It's softer.” Vivien smiles, gazing out the window.

“It's called smog.” Violet cut in, leaning back in her seat, the dog in-between us.

“It's just air pollution.” I add, lazily stroking Hallie, my other hand holding my empty slushie cup.

“You two should be excited. You can stop sneaking cigarettes and start taking deep breaths.” Ben says, looking back at us for a split second.

I groan, remembering how he cornered us a few months ago after he went snooping. “I need to go to the bathroom.” Violet pulls off her sunglasses.

“We're almost there.” Ben says quietly.

“I need to go.” She pushes on.

“Vi, it's a freeway. Really. Where do you want me to pull over?” He chuckles. “Maybe the Honda next to us has a bathroom or something.”

“I need to piss too.” I say, squeezing up cup.

“Y/N.” Ben’s voice is warning.

“I need to pee too.” I correct, rolling my eyes.

“I can't pull over, it's a freeway.” Ben sighs.

“If baby substitute had to shit, you'd find somewhere.” I let out a laugh at what Vi says.

“Really, Violet? I hate that word unless I'm saying it.” Vivien scolds lightly. At least she doesn't take offence.

“You know, I'm really glad we named you Violet instead of our second choice.” Ben smiles.

“Which was?”

“Sunshine.” Vivien smiles, putting her sunglasses back on.

It's times like these that I'm reminded I'm on the outside. The mutt is more of the family than I am. Violet mocks their laughter as I pull my headphones over my ears.

“Come on, you gotta admit it's funny.” Ben reaches for Vivien's hand and holds it. I don't miss how she pulls away.

What does Ben expect? That's once we move in, they'll be a happy family again? He must be naive or stupid.