Chapter 2: Match For The Duke

Erbium
Laurier's POV
Like the rest of the kingdom, Erbium is steeped in tradition. Some have a basis and others made up. Roe had a tradition to inflict his OCD on the duchy especially where colour was concerned. I hated Roe and I hated his traditions. His downfall was the best thing that has ever happened to this duchy.

"Yellow has never been my color." The voice captured my attention at once. I looked up from the reports I'm going through to see an old friend. "I find that it clashes with my skin tone."

"Diana."

She curtsied gracefully. "Not upholding the colour of the day, your grace?"

I glanced at my black suit and white shirt. I like uneventful colours. Roe and I used to disagree over my choice of "minimally" upholding the colour of the day.

"I think my pocket handkerchief is enough yellow." I chuckled as I got up to greet her with a gentle kiss on the cheek. "It's lovely to see you Diana. You look lovely in yellow. Almost as delicate as a lily."

She held one side of my face with her hand. "Tell me why you are still a bachelor! All these words are wasted!"

I laughed at her remark. "I should have know that this is why you are here." I returned to my seat and allowed her to sit down first before I followed.

"You are sn eligible match, am excellent one for that matter! Your refusal to be matched is... well... puzzling."

"My refusal?"

"Luize?"

"Talked too much."

"Martha?"

"Boring."

"Liliana."

"Pretentious."

"Beth?"

"Highly inappropriate. Don't even get me started on how she wanted to have my baby on our first date."

"Oh my! She seemed-"

"Well mannered?"

"My apologies on that. Still, you find fault with every woman I send your way! I think Martha was a good match."

"If your wish was that I die of boredom, yes. I'm not in a hurry to wed."

"Thirty eight and stubborn. Who is to inherit your legacy?"

"The king will appoint w new Duke."

"Strange. It's unusual for you not to want your legacy to go on."

I sighed heavily. When I got appointed as the new Duke of Erbium, I was shocked. For starters, I wasn't expecting it. The King took me by surprise on that. He explained what he expected from me and told me I have a lot of cleaning up to do. I stepped up and accepted the task. Unfortunately, a bump in nobility rank, means the single women are lining up for the wedding ring. It's all for the wrong reason. I'm not looking for a trophy wife. If I'm to marry, it has to b motivated by love; a sentiment that has my mother furious!

"Is that my mother talking or you? Did she tell you how desperate she is to be a grandmother?"

Diana laughed softly. "Let's not start about your mother. Let's talk about you. How are you settling in?"

"Quite well. Erbium has always been my home. It's the only the address and the duties that have changed. I hear you have taken residence at the gold palace."

"I have. The Queen Dowager felt the Queen Consort is in need of help to adjust to her new role."

"Isn't it the Queen Dowager's and Queen Mother's responsibility?"