To Destroy Fate, You Must first be Fate itself

I quickly returned to quietly eating my part as noon quickly turned into afternoon. Everyone rushed to clean up the place as just right after everyone went back to constructing the wooden wall and harvesting materials for it.

Anyone else was solving the preparations of weapons and defensive equipment. Soon, a vague silhouette of a 3-meter-tall wooden wall appeared. By the time the sun was falling, it was mostly finished already.

One-foot-thick wooden boards standing tall with various practical gravitational supports present in the back to make sure it doesn't collapse held together by a type of vine presented by the goblins to be better than normal rope.

The sun gently sets in the background as I look back towards the village center and made my way towards the village elder's tent, multiple torches lined up as the goblins ensured there was sufficient lighting.

By instinct, I made a knocking gesture, stopping myself just before I knocked on literal cloth and just set the draping cloth aside. I was met with the goblin elder shivering in the corner. "Village elder, good evening."

I greeted him as I took a seat in front of him. I conjured up a ball of fire set it stationary in the air to light up the place a bit more as the village elder took notice and greeted me back. "Akutagawa-sama, good evening." he spoke.

"You don't need to address me as "elder". I am pretty sure that Akutagawa-sama is far older than me." He continued. "Haha...." I let out a cold, dark, and quite chilling chuckle as I could hear my popping sounds from my balled-up fist.

"Really?" A menacing tone left my mouth as I looked him straight in the eye. "How old are you?" I asked him with bloodlust evidently laced in my voice, yet he was not even an ounce- afraid of my wrath. "I am currently 32." He answered.

"We goblins usually only live up to 30 years, 35, if blessed. But I am already feeling the end of my lifespan. I think I'll only live up to next year." Woah.... that's, quite saddening. That explains why he's like a shriveled-up corpse.

'But... holy shit! He's only 32?!? I'm fucking 37!! I'm literally 5 years older than him!!!' My bloodlust, demeanor, and everything that came with it was instantly gone and replaced by a wry smile on my face. "I'm actually older than you..."

The village elder smiled. "I am humbled, I am the oldest living goblin in this village, and is usually my proudest achievement. But it seems that there would be always someone that is better." He spoke. My eyebrows twitched.

"...You sure are fearless." I commented. "Thank you, Akutagawa-sama." He smiled again. My fingers are fucking itchy, I want to fucking kill someone right now! 'Hold your horses!' I shouted to my ever so slightly twitching hands.

'Control thyself, reign in the raging fire. Control thyself, be as solid and cold as ice.' I chanted in my head all over again as I felt myself gradually going back to normal. I let out a cute huff (by my observation) and relaxed.

"Ah, by the way. The original purpose of my visit here this evening is about the dire-wolves." My ears twitched, ever so slightly. "More specifically, their origins and how frequently do they attack this village." I added.

The village elder was silent for a second, before finally speaking. "Let us firstly start with their origin." He spoke. "They are locals of this forest, and they usually don't dare to attack us because of our god's aura."

"But because recently, about nearly a month ago, the presence of our God disappeared, and thus they became more proactive and harassed us goblins." I nodded. "I have a gist of the situation now, thank you. About..."

"Yes, the dire-wolves had attacked us in a 2–3-day frequency. In the previous battle, we had caused them casualties, and will bring their morale down. So, I will be sure that they'll attack in a three-day-gap."