Part 1: Prelude to darkness

"To the right!" the high pitched voice echoed through the empty corridors, followed by the sound of footsteps switching their heading.

-Are you sure you got the right turn this time? A soft feminine voice replied sarcastically

-oh I'm sorry, are you the one with the map? the man replied irritated

-I'm also not the one that almost got us killed with traps a minute ago! she replied angrily

-Enough, both of you! Demitri and Harold are the reason we were able to get this far, we cannot let their courage go to waste! a loud graveled voice exclaimed, rising over the other two who remained silent in response, just focus on finding it, Zuko, he continued, the woman scoffed as she turned her face away in displeasure.

-Oh my, you do love to be in charge, don't you, Ragnar? another feminine, slightly lower voice replied in a sweet and gentle, almost seductive tone, you need to stop being such a sourpuss, Wyn, how about we have a drinking night at the inn after this? she continued, gently pulling the Elven woman's arm towards her, her tone becoming more gentle and sister-like

-No way Zoe, you always make me try to sleep with random guys at the bar! Wynphy replied, trying to pull herself away but failing to overpower her.

-hmmm perhaps you're more into women? Orcs? They have a lot of stamina! the elven woman pulled her face away in bashful discomfort as the other pressed her body against hers in excitement.

-how is your arm, Ragnar? a voice that had not spoken yet addressed the orc warrior, diverting his attention from the two women bantering behind him

-It is alright my friend, the traps from earlier did not strike anywhere critical, thanks to you warning me, Etro He quickly answered

-but to think that something as small as arrows would be able to even pierce your body at all... he continued.

Ragnar nodded in affirmation, they were made from some kind of metal I had not before encountered, sharper than obsidian but sturdier than diamonds, it felt magical essence enveloping it as well, he added.

-Something is very off about this... Everything has been going way too smooth, even the traps from before were not that dangerous in comparison to all other times we had to fight for the blessed corps parts, it's almost eerie, Etro retorted, nervously glancing all around him as he walked forward.

-I do not disagree, however..., Ragnar replied, placing his palm over Etro's shoulder, we can overcome it, whatever it might be, together, we've all grown stronger, especially you, he continued, Etro smiled softly, his body language visibly becoming more relaxed after hearing those words from him.

As the five of them marched together, the hallways slowly grew narrower and darker, Etro reached into his bag and pulled out three small wooden rods that he lit with fire from his magic, handing them to Ragnar, Zuko and Zoe. The darkness of the seemingly unending tunnels enveloped them, with only the light from their torches illuminating what little their weak lights could reach before being swallowed by the black that covered the walls. The eerie silence only broken by the sound of their own breathing getting louder as the darkness seemed to engulf even sound from around them. Etro glanced back, Wynphy was lagging behind them all, he slowed down a few steps so she could catch up to him.

-Are you alright? he asked.

-Yeah... yeah I'm ok, I'm sorry, I'm just on edge, she quickly replied.

Etro glanced down, her hands were shivering, he silently continued to walk next to her, she took notice of it and turned her face away from him, he reached out to her and held her hand, she was as cold as ice, she silently squealed, but she did not pull away from him, the warmth of his palm was unusually comforting, she averted her gaze, but let her small fingers sink into his palm as he tightened his grip around her.