1

Financier Cookie yawned, waking to the light shining through the crack between the curtain and the window frame. Her roommate, Cruller Cookie, and twin sisters from the connecting room, Lemon Wafer Cookie, and Whipped Lemon Cookie, were already up. They had opened all the other curtains.  Financier heard the sounds of her friends washing up and getting dressed. 

Cruller shook Financier in her bed, shouting. "Get up, sleepyhead! How can you call yourself a better Paladin than Madeleine, when you don't even get up on a day like this!" Cruller, Financier, and Lemon Wafer had all made a Madeleine Anti-Fan Club, trying to get Whipped Lemon to get over her  crush on the young Madeleine cookie. Despite being called the young Madeleine, he was in his early thirties compared to Whipped Lemon's twenties. Whipped Lemon learned later he was also gay, but he wasn't open about that until later. This wasn't the only reason the anti-fan club existed, at least according to Financier. In her words, he was "a flashy, unworthy, lazy, glory-obsessed, and not at all worthy 'Paladin' who does not deserve the blessing of the Light."

"What? What's today?" Financier sat up in bed, tossing her covers aside. Despite being the center of attention seconds before, she was ignored. This left her to think as she began her morning routine.

"Oh, for the sake of the Light!" Lemon Wafer came into the room through the connecting door. She was accompanied by her sister Whipped Lemon, who she was in a fight with the others knew by heart. "I would hit you with the blunt end of a sword, but I'm afraid I'd kill you. Not that that would be a problem, though."

"Oh my, as if I should fear you with your horrible swordsmanship," said Whipped Lemon as she pulled her messy hair into braids.

"You should. If you'd been paying attention to like, literally any lessons, you'd know how hard it is to miss with a short range weapon. Like, a sword?"

"Ai yah!" Whipped Lemon stormed off into her dorm room.

Financier came out of the washroom in a simple shirt with her sorority pin, as well as her typical pants. She took care pulling her hair to one side, as she typically did.

"Financier! Ready to go? We can't be late for the big test today. You know that if we're late we have to redo all of our years! I cannot be stationary for one more second, and yet you take this much time fixing your hair!" Cruller smiled, then knocked on the connecting door. "You two ready? C'mon!"

Financier looked at Cruller, surprised. "Are you sure it's today?" She hurriedly put on her cloak, something she only  did on  certain occasions.

"Yes! You're telling me you actually forgot? We get our assignments soon, too! Who do you want to get assigned to?" 

"Well, I haven't decided yet. I just hope not House Madeleine," said Financier, shuddering.

"Haha! All I hope is to get a simple guard position near my friends. Like you!" Cruller and Financier headed out of the door together, followed by the Lemon twins. "Whipped Lemon? Lemon Wafer? You given it any thought?"

"Ohh... I want to be given a position at House Madeleine," said Whipped Lemon. 

Financier groaned. "Hope you're good with never seeing any of your friends, or your sister!"

"Oh, me?" Lemon Wafer said at the mention of her. "I don't think I'd like a guard position much. I'd would rather be given a job to sort papers and such things, learning, at least until House Lemon has enough coins to send me to university."

"Right." Cruller said. The four walked to the courtyard silently.