The Fall (2)

Obedience

     I enjoy being a seraph. How could I not enjoy what I was made for? We worked long shifts, though, and rarely got enough time to rest after each one. It wasn't exhausting so much as it was draining. He fed us. Others angels could glance at His direction and be completely sated. But seraphim, we must constantly face away from Him, in order to do our best in our duties. Being constantly drained of energy while on duty, always on guard, and rare time to rest created a regularly weary crew.

     Our first and most important duty is guarding. Guarding is quite vague. Most times, when no angels are present, the job is easy. We lounge by His feet, or on His hands, humming along with the seraphim on choir duty. When lower ranks approached, the symphony seraphim would flair their voices as warning, and we would launch ourselves into form. This was the most tiring part. 

     He was the purest thing in existence, so much so that lower ranks, if they looked at him directly, could easily be destroyed. They would be blinded, frequently would also become mute and deaf, and in a few unhappy instances, completely lame. Our duty as seraphim was not to protect Him, but instead to protect the angels. 

     When we did got time to rest, it usually came in the form of leading the symphony of angels. It was a rather enjoyable job, although, again, one cannot face Him while doing it, since we must face the masses in order to project our voice. The music was always around us. The lyricism, the tones, the keys, they all registered like second nature to every seraph. If anything, we were the lyrics.

     I enjoyed guarding, usually because He would not make me stand below Him. I would frequently rest next to His head, or simply be near enough to talk to Him. I was not drained like most seraphim. I was a favorite, by far.

     When I went on symphony duty, sometimes even He  would join me in song. He never did that for anyone else.

     However, we seemed to be in a bit of a disagreement, even now. He seems to have forgiven me for my human-appearance transgression, with the unspoken agreement settled between us that I never appear as a human before Him. Still, He was less loose with me as I sat beside Him on guard duty.

     "I met a dominion," I explained. "She had all kinds of trinkets on her. I don't know how any of them worked, besides the compass."

     He did not respond. I tried a few other conversation starters, but none of them inspired His voice to bless me with a reply. I wrap myself in my wings until nothing of me can be seen. Why are you not listening to me?

     "Listen, I'm sorry. I said it before, and you know I mean it," I whine into the cocoon created by my wings. He decided to respond this time, but He did not speak. Instead, He whispered into 

     I expect you to be better than this, Samael. You have a purpose greater than you will ever know. It is all a part of MY plan.

     Was his voice condescending, or was it scolding? I had a hard time telling. "I want to lead others. A legion, or an army."

     And you will, when I deem it the right time.

     I choose not to respond. Why can't I have it now? Is it because I'm moping into my wings? I pull my wings even tighter over myself. If the only thing stopping me from being great was my childishness, then let me indulge some more.

     Did you enjoy it?

     "What?" I snip, winding my burning fists together. They passed through each other as though the other did not exist. Flickers of flames engulf the place where they pass one another. His voice needed to leave my head, that's for sure. If He wants to speak to me, He can vocalize it.