Chapter 1

T/W: Unsettling dream sequence and minor sexual content.

***
Lex

If someone asked me how well my life was going at the moment, I'd respond that it was amazing. Yes, there's crap that gets on my nerves at times, but everyone has something.

I can't complain. I have a wonderful, kind and sweet husband who adores me and takes good care of me. I have a beautiful, healthy almost two year old daughter, that even though there are days in which she annoys me, I still love.

I have a job I enjoy and a beautiful home, a loving extended family and amazing friends. 

Yet somewhere along the lines, it slowly began to unravel.

***
I'm standing in a dark void, unsure of myself  I'm not frightened or sad, just confused. I see a light in the distance. It's small, almost unnoticeable at first.

I find myself walking towards it, curiosity filling me. As soon as I reach it, I find myself standing in a doorway, which leads to outside.

I step out and I'm on a beach. I can smell the salty air, as a faint breeze ruffles my hair and clothes. I can feel the sand squishing between my toes.

As I approach the ocean, I realize I'm not alone. A lone figure stands at the edge of the shore. He turns, smiling, extending a hand. I step closer, taking his hand. It's warm and comforting.

"Hey, Lexie."

"Hey."

"I've missed you." Tears fill my eyes.

"Yeah, Speed," I whisper. "I miss you too."

***
"Mommy?" My eyes slowly open and I see a dark haired pixie standing by my side of the bed, clutching a brown, stuffed cat, her thumb planted firmly in her mouth.

"Mommy?"

"Ari, it's too early to get up," Steve rumbles from his side of the bed.

"I have bad dream," Ari whispers.  I move, helping her into Steve and I's bed, where she wedges her small body in between Steve's and mine.

"What was it about?" I ask.

"Monster chasing me," Ari replies, playing with my hair.

"I'm sorry." I kiss Aria's forehead and she smiles.

"Uncle Dave and Auntie Cass come?"

"Later," Steve replies, rolling over to reach out and smooth Aria's messy hair away from her face.

"Why?"

"Because," Steve says. "It's six o'clock in the morning and they're still sleeping."

"Okay," Ari whispers. She's now touching Steve's disheveled hair. I chuckle.

"Do you think you can go back to sleep?" Steve asks softly.

"No," Aria replies, grinning impishly.

"How about you try?" Steve asks, smiling.

"Okay." Aria dutifully closes her eyes for all of ten seconds. "Get up now?" She asks, eyes popping open. I have to laugh, even though I'm still dead tired. Steve sighs.

"What the hell?"

***
Steve

I'm finishing up in the shower while Lex gets dressed. Ari is running around, singing some made up song at the top of her lungs.

I chuckle to myself as I switch off the faucet, stepping out of the shower and grabbing a towel. There's certainly nothing wrong with that girl's lungs.

She's a tad over excited because we're having people over for a barbecue today.

"Aria, baby," Lex calls out. "How about you use your indoor voice?"

"Okay, Mommy!" Aria shouts. I laugh, wrapping the towel around my middle and walk out into the bedroom, going to get dressed.

"That girl is impossible," Lex tells me, walking over to where I'm standing.

"Just like her mother," I joke and Lex smacks my ass, hard.

"Ow!" I yelp. Lex just smirks.

"Behave yourself, Mr. Speedle."

"Yeah," I say, rubbing the sore spot on my ass where Lex just smacked me. "I'd hate to see what else you've got." Lex smiles, leaning in to kiss me. I grab her ass and she chuckles.

"I'm sorry," Lex murmurs.

"You're forgiven," I murmur  my fingers wandering, sliding them between Lex's legs. She gasps.

"Let's try for a sibling for Ari right now," I growl softly in Lex's ear. She pushes me away.

"Sorry, Stevie." Lex grins. "That's a big nope." I sigh.

"Yeah. Probably not a good idea with the little diva running loose." Lex laughs.

"Correct, Mr. Speedle." She gives me another kiss. "We can try later on, okay?" I grin.

"Absolutely."

***
Everyone has arrived and Ari's in her element, basking in the undivided attention she receives from our guests. Lex's mom, Shari and her boyfriend, Jay Hoyer, an old family friend, are here. Along with my parents and Lex's uncle Grant.

Also of course, Dave and Cass, Lex and I's close friends, along with Dustin and his girlfriend, Annie.

Shari, of course, keeps needling Lex about another grandchild and Lex ignores her.

"I thought you would have been pregnant by now," Shari is saying. Jay is trying to distract her by kissing her cheek.

"After all," Shari barges on. "Aria will be two in a couple of months."

"We're working on it," I jump in before Lex completely comes unhinged. As much as Lex loves her mom, they tend to bump heads. A lot.

"Baby, baby, baby!" Aria adds, grinning and everyone laughs, including Lex.

"See?" Shari says pointedly. "Even Ari wants a baby brother or sister."

"She'll get one," I assure my mother-in-law.

"I hope so."

"Stop bugging Lex," Jay orders. Shari just smiles charmingly at Jay.

"Come to Grandma," my mom says to Ari, who instantly obeys, running over. Mom lifts her up and Ari snuggles back against her, her thumb in her mouth. I grin.

"Well, I don't blame Lex for wanting to wait," Cass says, putting her hand on her own baby bump.

"It's hard on our bodies," Lex agrees.

"It is," Cass says. Dave smiles fondly at his wife.

"I concur," he says. "Poor Cass has a rough time."

"No shit." Cass grins.

"Mommy?" Ari is now wriggling off of my mom's lap, hurrying over to Lex, who leans over, lifting her up.

"I'm hungry," Ari whines.

"So what else is new?" Lex stands, holding Aria on her hip, heading for the kitchen. They return, Ari nibbling on a cookie, spewing crumbs everywhere.

I smile, looking around. Regardless of how shit went down almost three years ago, I gotta admit, things are definitely damn good now.