Chapter Twenty-Three

'You told us we were going to be there by now!' the Oficial said impatiently.

'It takes longer to get around the forest in these conditions,' Elizabeth hissed. 'Besides, I can see the place now. It's just here, see? We're here'.

Elizabeth's heart pounded. Sophie was in there as well, and if the two Oficial wizards found out about the box of documents left by the Cannidors, there would be danger ahead.

As Elizabeth, Bartholomew and the two Oficials entered Knotley Manor, the female placed her arm around Elizabeth's shoulders. She looked around her, confused. However, the female Oficial looked Elizabeth in the eyes with a stern gaze.

'I just want to reassure you that we're not actually working for Malcheffi'.

'You're...not...what?'

Elizabeth was confused. The scene at the mouth of the forest. The Oficials asking for directions to Knotley Manor. What was that all about?

'It's a long story,' the Oficial continued. 'We were put in place by King Harry before the battle started. We're trying just as hard as you are to stamp out dark magic. Unfortunately, some folk believe we're working for the enemy. So, we must officially announce ourselves before we can carry out our duties. If we fail, this country is doomed. Therefore, we were looking for you because you have the one thing that we need to win this'.

'Oh, really?' Elizabeth asked. 'And what would that be?'

'Mark Cannidor,' the Oficial replied. 'Of course, he has ran away. So, we need to make sure he is safe before he can defeat Malcheffi once and for all'.

Elizabeth stepped away. The fact that the Oficial was not a dark wizard was helpful. But this was not reassuring.

'How is it possible for a young boy to defeat the darkest wizard of the age?' Elizabeth asked impatiently. 'He has no magical abilities to speak of. His parents kept him away from magic when they raised him. How is all this possible?'

'He was born with the gift,' the Oficial replied. 'The Todlosis curse can only be used by those wizards with a specific genetic. It is only at its most powerful with the darkest of wizards'.

'Wait...are you saying that Mark is a dark wizard?'

The Oficial nodded.

'Of course, if we are able to locate young Mark Cannidor once again, we will need to provide you all with every bit of protection. If Sigourney Malcheffi gains knowledge about what has just happened, he can use that against you'.

Elizabeth needed to sit down. It was all too much of a shock for her. Although she couldn't help but imagine what the young lad's reaction would be if he knew what was boiling inside of him. Dark blood. Strange powers he had never before encountered. And he was Sigourney Malcheffi's cousin, too.

'I won't allow it,' Elizabeth said, standing up.

'I'm afraid we have no other choice,' the Oficial said. 'There are, however, other options. We can, of course, let him run his course. Wherever he is on the island, I'm sure he'll manage by himself'.

Elizabeth shook her head.

'We should have told him the truth,' she moaned. 'All this time, we thought we were able to keep him safe by ourselves. We let this silly business with the ship come between us. He wanted to sell the ship to Quinte Hornby. He recommended we buy the Twelve Green Bottles and use it as headquarters. Build a home guard. Continue the business. We would settle down at long last. I shouldn't have been so stupid. We've thrown that all away and it's all thanks to me.