2

One night, out of nowhere I thought Molly might have been dragging me out to another party where it'd ultimately lead to drunk hookups, and me having to drag her right back out. To my surprise, we just ended up taking a late night stroll to a park near our dorm. I was still wearing a sweatshirt and multi-pocketed jeans, holding paper, pencils, trash, candy, and their former shell of wrappers. I hadn't gotten to cleaning myself up in a while, but that never bothered me or Molly.

As she led me to the park, it was like I was seeing her glow with beauty all over again, just like the day I'd met her. We walked past flickering street lights, illuminating her flawless, shiny golden-brown hair. It framed her heavenly face just as usual, adorning her slightly chubby cheeks and pearly smile. I could almost see the lamps as stage lights, the way she twirled under them with excitement. I thought back to the playbill she displayed proudly in our room, how she was nearly a Glinda the Good Witch smiling in the spotlight.

After our chatter along the way about classes, clubs, and everything in between going on in our lives, we finally arrived at the park. There was a small, distant playground, a sandbox, and some frisbee golf baskets scattered about. Mostly though, it was an overwhelming, grassy field, one that felt like it could outstretch an ocean in the moment.

Molly was so eager to pull me out there and grab me by my hand as she always did. She looked up into the sky, her deep brown eyes suddenly illuminated even by the dark sky.

"Look Lottie!" she exclaimed. "A shooting star! You have to make a wish!"

She collapsed into the ground as if it were a natural action to take, dragging me down with her. We both fell, surprisingly softly, into the grass with an umph! and I couldn't help but laugh a little bit. Her cheery tone and toothy smile were so infectious.

"Okay, okay, I'll make a wish," I said, looking up at the star as it zoomed through the sky. It flew faster than Molly seeing a mall sale, an impressive record to beat.

Secretly, in my heart, I really did make a wish. In my brain, I repeated it back to myself as I watched the star pass. I wish to be closer to Molly. Just a quick seven-word desire, but one that I hoped would ring true, whether from my actions or from the star.

"What did you wish for?" I turned to ask her, our faces close as we lay together on the grass.

Molly rolled her eyes at me. "Everyone knows if I tell you it won't come true. Don't worry, my dear, all of my wishes have come true so far."