Chapter 11

"He's back?" she hurriedly asked Katherine as soon as the door opened and a sleepy and disheveled Katherine opened up.

She let out a sigh and invited her in, but Caroline shook her head. "He got out about a month ago. Elijah had been reaching out to him, but Klaus ignored him until last week."

Caroline scoffed. "Of course he did, that's what he's good at," she mumbled. She looked down at her shoes before meeting her friend's eyes. "How is he?"

"He's okay. Elijah got him a job and he's staying at a boarding house."

"But how is he?" she asked, begrudgingly admitting she still cared about him.

Katherine sighed again. "Why don't you talk to him? I'm sure he's been wanting to talk to you."

Caroline shook her head. "I can't."

"Take your time and get your thoughts in order and then maybe reach out. I'm sure he'd like to apologize."

"That won't change all these years."

"No, but at least you could get some understanding and then maybe move on."

"I have moved on," she argued, but Katherine gave her a look and Caroline knew her friend didn't believe her. "Fine. Maybe I will."

"Should I..."

"No," Caroline answered, not knowing if Katherine was asking if she should reach out to Klaus for her or if she should try and keep them separated. But Caroline didn't know what she really wanted. She was so confused by his sudden appearance, it had thrown her for a loop and she couldn't stop the jitters that made butterflies in her stomach. "I'm sorry for bothering you so early," she apologized before turning to leave.

"I should have told you," Katherine called out. "I'm sorry I didn't. I just wasn't sure what kind of person was coming out of that place."

Caroline understood and nodded, lost in her thoughts as she turned toward her house just down the street. She berated herself for wanting to see him again, but she didn't know what she wanted to do more, slap him or hear him out. She needed her thoughts in order before that happened though. "Stupid Klaus," she muttered as she lay in her bed, trying to fall asleep.

ooOoo

Over the course of three months, she'd run into him multiple times. Once at the hospital when he'd had an accident at work and had split his hand open and then at least once a week as he was either coming or going from Katherine and Elijah's. Maybe she was just more aware of him now, she thought. She still hadn't had the strength to speak to him with more than light small talk and pleasantries and she could tell he was getting frustrated. Any time they ran into each other she could tell he was about to burst with everything he wanted to say, but she couldn't bring herself to say anything to him. It irritated her that no matter where they were, it was the same as before. Everything in her peripheral would fade away and she'd be locked in a bubble of their own making. Even without saying anything, his eyes told her so much and she hated that she could read him, so she'd flee every time.

Eventually his presence became more natural as he integrated himself with society. He'd stuck out like a sore thumb after being released. She'd noticed he always seemed tense, more so than when he ran a speakeasy, but after some time his shoulders seemed a little more relaxed, his smile came a little easier and his eyes weren't constantly flicking around his environment. She wouldn't call them friends, but after a while she didn't feel the need to run from him either. So, when she found herself with him in a dance hall, decorated for Katherine's birthday, she didn't ignore him.