Prologue

"Call me!"

May gestures close to her ear as she turns away from me to emphasise her spoken sentence. When she turns around I spot perfectly the contours of her buttocks rolling around like a catwalk, inspired by a song stirring in her mind.

I had slept with her last week in a motel, something that was the subject of gossip for the whole school the next day. May is good, but not the best, so I made it clear to myself that nothing will happen again between us. There are many girls to try.

I run my hand over my chin and lean away from the metal locker, heading towards my group of friends chatting cheerfully.

"Hey, Nick? What's up?" Greets me Fill, my best friend.

He has black hair, straight and spiky, as if he always put his finger in the socket before coming to school. Also, his eyes are kind of big and round, highlighting their brownish hue very well. In stature, Fill is about my size.

"Fine. Have you heard about May?"

Matt, a friend with tan skin and red-colored hair, speaks out:

"Man, everyone knows. Not to mention that it is easier for you to say who didn't slept with her than to say who did."

I laugh, as do the rest of them.

"Our friend over there is one of the ones not on the list." says Jason, the tallest friend of the group, pointing to a direction at the end of the corridor.

He was pointing to 'Damaged', the nickname we use to give to a blond and shy boy at school. We call him that for the fact that he was gay, something that was discovered a few months ago. Honestly, Arthur, the boy, had not shown himself to be that since he arrived here - three years ago. What it did give away was a time when Matt picked up his backpack in the hallway and threw it on the floor to tease him, which ended up scattering from inside it a worn cover book written 'Secret Love'. Of course the name gave away absolutely nothing, but story - written by himself - was about a romance between two men. And so 'Damaged' followed, scattered all over.

I never got close to him, I only saw him from afar. He always hangs around with the science students, a boring people with inoffensive looks who solve everything around them with formulas and theories that don't make a bit of sense to me.

"Gays don't count" I protest.

As if he had heard, his face turns slowly towards us, but only for a single second before he looks at his locker again, laden with the red borreches.

"Did you see how attracted he is to boys?" mocks Fill, laughing. "But I confess that even I would be attracted to myself."

"Always deluded" I say "Mirrors are there to diminish your self-love, Fill."

"Shut up."

I laugh. At the same instant, Damaged passes far from us with the books hugged against his chest. Unlike the first time, he doesn't watch us as he walks down the corridor where we were. He just choose to look at the school's floor.

"Secret... Love..." chokes purposely Matt close to him, making his steps more hurried.

All it takes is for him to disappear to us laugh again, this time much louder, leaning our bodies forward hard.

"Ah, help me with something!" I ask as soon as an idea pops into my head and I run to Damaged's locker, "Come on!"

They start running too, their faces loving the initiative, but still don't knowing what is it.

"Matt, get a balloon." I point to the top right corner, next to the sign that says that next month the costume ball that girls don't stop talking about "Do any of you have a clip?"