One

Cw. Female Megumi, Child Female Megumi, Zenin Clan maids being rude, misogyny, NAOYA ZENIN, Naoya is being Naoya... crack, fluff(?)

Meguru listlessly ambled through the main annex of the Zenin Clan home. It was overly luxurious, with numerous servants roaming the estate. The lot of them pretended to ignore her— though Meguru could quite clearly hear their hushed voices.

Their words seemed muddled though she could make out the few that were about her birth, her father, or her lack of the 'proper' name.

Whenever she turned her head to face any direction— any group, the maids would turn their head, or quiet down completely. Was this some form of bullying? She couldn't care less.

Anyone who'd known her was under the impression that Meguru was, and would always be, quite the cynical child. She didn't concern herself with the thoughts or words of others.

Even before she arrived, she knew how she may be treated due to her fathers estranged relationship with the clan.

"You're a lot better than me, so they won't hurt you. It'll be fine. And only for a few hours"

Those were Toji's anxious words as he lead her to the gate of the Zenin estate. It was as if he was convincing himself rather than Meguru. He was reluctant to let her go— let her into the lions den that is the Zenin Clan.

The only consolation was the fact that Namie was still working.

As a child, though Toji was shunned by his family, he did have one person to lean on, and that was a maid servant named Namie. He was hard pressed for time, needing to leave soon for a job, and unable to find an adequate babysitter.

It was a last resort, but he'd rather lower his pride and bite his tongue to ask his family for help, then to leave his precious daughter alone.

Perhaps the fact that she was a sorcerer, the fact that she'd developed a cursed technique, may assure her safety. He could feel his palms become sweaty, knowing she felt uncomfortable by the shifting of her fingers in his hold.

His heart beat loud in his ears with unease, these feelings soon settling with the sight of his old nanny— Namie. "Toji-sama. It's good to see you again" She bowed and kindly smiled. "Oh, Namie" He grinned, senses calming slightly.

"You don't look a day over 20. Still the very same" He smiled. A genuine smile— not the vain smirk Meguru often seen on his face. The kind of smile she had yet to see since the death of her mother.

"You flatter me, Toji-Sama. I've aged into an old woman now" She chuckled, her brown eyes moving from the stocky young man, to Meguru. "So this is the young lady, I presume" She motioned her hand towards Meguru— who instinctively shrunk behind Toji's leg.

"Yep. This' my baby girl, Meguru. Say hi" He grinned, softly nudging her from behind him. "Hello, Meguru-Sama. I'm Namie. I hear you'll be staying with us" Namie spoke sweetly, leaning forward.

Meguru only nodded softly, refusing to make direct eye contact. "Please, allow us to help you with anything. Don't be too shy to ask us for what you need" She explained kindly.