𝚂𝚒𝚡𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

I'm standing outside Maya's front door, staring at the faded welcome mat like it's going to open the door for me

I'm standing outside Maya's front door, staring at the faded welcome mat like it's going to open the door for me. It's stupid, really. I've been inside this house before, just the other day, and it wasn't a big deal. I finally took Maya up on coming over after school.

But tonight feels different. There are more people inside. More expectations. More chances for things to go wrong.

I can already hear laughter through the door. It's muffled but loud enough that I know the party has already started. A movie night isn't supposed to feel like a party, right? 

I tug at the hem of my shirt, debating if I should just text Maya and tell her I'm sick. She'll believe it. I could say I've got a headache or a stomach bug—both feel like the truth in a way.

But then the door swings open, and Maya's grinning face appears before I can escape.

"Hey! You made it!" She beams like I just showed up to save the day, pulling me inside before I can even offer an excuse. 

Her house smells like popcorn and something sweet, like vanilla candles or maybe cookies. I don't know, but it's warm and comforting, and I instantly feel a little ridiculous for being so nervous.

"Yeah," I manage to say, trying to match her energy but falling short. "Wouldn't miss it."

Liar.

Maya's got this way of making everything seem casual, like it's all effortless, and I envy that about her. She loops her arm through mine and steers me toward the living room where a group of girls is already sprawled out on the couches and the floor. They're laughing, tossing popcorn at each other, the TV paused on a Netflix menu.

I recognize most of them from school—Katie, Lana, Taylor—and a few others whose names I can't remember. They wave and smile when they see me, but there's no judgment in their eyes, no hesitation. It's like I'm already part of the group, even though I've barely spoken to any of them outside of lunch.

It's weird how quickly people can accept you when they don't know your baggage.

"Hey, Aspyn!" Katie calls out, patting the couch beside her. "Come sit! We're about to start!"

I glance at Maya, and she gives me a little nudge, her smile reassuring. I take a deep breath and slide onto the couch, my legs folding awkwardly underneath me. The cushions sink under my weight, and I try not to let the nervous energy buzzing in my chest spill over into my movements.

Maya plops down next to me, close enough that her shoulder brushes mine, and I'm grateful for her steady presence. She tosses a handful of popcorn in my lap, grinning. "You ready for this?"

I laugh, mostly because I have no idea what "this" is. "I guess?"

"Perfect. We're watching a rom-com," she says, like it's the most obvious thing in the world. "But it's one of those ones that's actually funny. You'll like it."