Chapter 12: A Poignant Reminder

Your cousin, Sia, has been ringing you repeatedly

Your cousin, Sia, has been ringing you repeatedly. Your phone was somewhere. In your car, in your pocket, in the hospital ward... you didn't know. You didn't care. You were tired. You were so tired.

You missed the way your life was 2 months ago.

So inspid.

But so at peace.

You wipe your swollen eyes and rest your head on the wall, still on the ground, too lethargically weak to stand up for yourself. Too lethargically weak to stabilize yourself firm. So you just remained on the ground. And you closed your eyes.

It wasn't too long before you fell into a slumber.

The Next Morning

A doctor of some sort must have picked you up off the ground because you found yourself awakening in the ward of Kento's. Your ears immediately adjusted to the incessant beeping sounds that derived from his life support machine. Sun rays seeped through the window blinds, that being the only source of light that was in the entire room.

It took you a moment to deliberate that last night wasn't a fever dream. It was real. Although, you wished on everything that it was the former. Everything.

You jump to your feet and turn to look at his condition.

But to your demise, nothing had changed.

From what you could paint out in this darkness, wires were branched into him everywhere, as if he were a lab experiment.

And a glowing oxygen mask was still cuffed around his mouth.

His eyes were closed shut. Glued shut, perhaps.

You didn't know why you expected anything to change.

And to start your morning off unanticipatedly, doctors soon informed you that he fell into a coma.

A coma.

All because you didn't read the signs.

A coma all because you were too late.

You exhale densely, and walk over to Kento. You place a hand over his chest and kiss him on the forehead—the only place on his body that was free of medical wiring.

You rub your thumb on his forehead.

"I'm so, so, sorry Kento." You whisper. And you whisper it again. Again. As much as your lips can repeat the 5 words. The guilt was eating you alive. You couldn't.