8. Close Call

Mark returned from his journey to Thraxa after two weeks, accompanied by a newfound companion—a Viltrumite Thraxan hybrid who had yet to be named.

Cecil and Ben materialized within the base of The Guardians of the Globe, their presence sparking immediate attention from the team. Rex's voice rang out, laced with a hint of skepticism. "You do know that people try to kill us every day, right?"

"We have a problem," Cecil announced, his expression grave. "It's coming from Mars, headed directly for Earth. We've tried calling, but they're not answering. It's packed to the gills with bio-matter."

Black Samson's gaze shifted to Shapesmith, suspicion evident in his eyes. "Ships coming from Mars, huh? I wonder if there's anyone here with insider knowledge... of Mars," he remarked, his tone tinged with accusation.

Shapesmith let out a resigned sigh, preparing to reveal a long-held secret. "Um... Friends, I have a secret to unbury. I am not a human person from Earth-like I once told you. Prepare yourselves, for the truth may be more than you can handle..."

"We know you're a Martian," Ben interjected, his tone matter-of-fact. "You thought we'd let you join the team without figuring that out?" Cecil added, his expression unreadable.

Black Samson's confusion was palpable, realizing he was the last to grasp the truth. "You all knew that? Son of a–"

"What we don't know... is how you got to Earth and why you're here," Cecil pressed, his gaze fixed on Shapesmith as they all awaited an explanation.

 is how you got to Earth and why you're here," Cecil pressed, his gaze fixed on Shapesmith as they all awaited an explanation

Shapesmith took a deep breath, preparing to recount his origins and the events that led him to Earth. "Well... My people were right behind us in the tunnels. I thought they'd find him before the sequids did," he confessed, his voice tinged with remorse.

"But they didn't find him, did they? Something else did," Cecil concluded, his tone edged with concern. Shapesmith nodded, proceeding to unravel the tale of the Sequids and their potential to enslave everyone on Earth if they weren't stopped.

As Shapesmith's narrative unfolded, the gravity of the situation became increasingly apparent. With the threat of the Sequids looming large, the team knew they had to act swiftly to prevent catastrophe.

Under the weight of impending danger, Cecil orchestrated a strategic move, dispatching a select team to retrieve Invincible. The Immortal, Black Samson, Monster Girl, and Rudy—each seasoned in their own right—embarked on the mission with determination etched into their features.

Meanwhile, Rex found himself drawn to Eve, recognizing the turmoil that weighed heavily upon her. With gentle words and unwavering support, he sought to console her about the mistakes of the past and inspire her to rejoin the Guardians. Eve, her resolve renewed by Rex's encouragement, made the decision to stand alongside her comrades once more.

As the group assembled to depart on their mission, Rex's voice rang out, a beacon of reassurance in the face of uncertainty. "We're counting on you to help bring him back," he urged, his tone firm yet imbued with a sense of camaraderie.