Chapter two : The start of a new life

"Just out of interest, why did you want me instead of Hachine? She's more powerful than me," Y/N asked Tanjiro while walking to a place Tanjiro said would be a perfect place to start training.

"Dark voodoo magic can't damage the monsters, but a strong and fully trained demon slayer can," replied Tanjiro, looking forward. "We're almost there," They were walking up a mountain with thick fog that made it hard to breathe and booby traps almost everywhere. When Y/N and Tanjiro arrived, they were at an old and abandoned hut. Inside were a few swords and kitsune masks that had some cracks.

"Why did you bring us here Tanjiro?" asked Y/N, looking around the hut. "Everything in this place looks destroyed..."

"This used to be where a retired Hashira called Sakonji Urokodaki trained the people who he saw potential in to become demon slayers if they passed the entrance exam," explained Tanjiro.

"Where is Urokodaki now?" asked Y/N.

"He... Unfortunately passed away 2 years ago," said Tanjiro, grabbing a sword that wasn't as rusty as the others. "Here, catch."

"Careful! You almost sliced my arm off!" Yelled Y/N, almost dropping the sword.

"Sorry, firstly, try to slice this mat," said Tanjiro, pointing to a rolled-up mat in front of them both.

Tanjiro taught Y/N many different breathing techniques and decided that Water breathing was the most fit for Y/N. She learnt all 11 forms of Water breathing and Tanjiro even taught her Yoriichi's breathing style - Sun breathing, or Hinokami Kagura, the original breathing technique. Tanjiro remembered in his research about Y/N's ancestors that past Sun breathers— excluding Yoriichi— would be exhausted quickly after using only a few forms so learning other breathing styles to switch with Hinokami Kagura in combat would be very useful. Sometimes demons would try to attack the two, only to retreat and regret even thinking about the idea after Tanjiro or Y/N spotted them. 7 months passed, and Y/N mastered both Water breathing and Hinokami Kagura, so Tanjiro decided she was ready for the Demon Slayer entrance exam.

"You're ready for the entrance exam," said Tanjiro one day, suddenly.

"What's the entrance exam?" asked Y/N, taking a break from training.

"The entrance exam is a test to see who can survive being a demon slayer. The test is that you go to Mt. Narugomi, where there are wisteria flowers demons are afraid of. Then the demon slayer corps will cut down all the flowers, and you have to survive for seven days," explained Tanjiro, while Y/N noted the information.

"So you think I'm ready for the test?" asked Y/N.

"Yeah, but the test might have sudden monster attacks since monsters also are afraid of wisteria," said Tanjiro, then he gave Y/N an obsidian necklace. "Call my name if you need my help, but only call me in an absolute emergency because outside help isn't allowed, and the test is supposed to see if you are strong enough."

"I understand, thanks," replied Y/N, putting on the necklace and holding a map Tanjiro gave her to Mt. Narugomi.

So, Y/N set off alone to Mt. Narugomi to pass the entrance exam. She travelled rivers and climbed mountains until she got there. Beautiful wisteria flowers surrounded the area as she slowly walked up the path to the exam place. She saw around 45 slayers at the starting point and got ready for whatever she had to face. When the test started, the wisteria disappeared, and suddenly demons began attacking, but that wasn't surprising for Y/N. She came this far and wouldn't lose to demons who weren't even from the 12 Kizuki. She used Water Breathing whenever a demon came and quickly defeated them, and even though the monsters that suddenly came were stronger, they didn't stand a chance against Y/N. Y/N ran through the mountain multiple times, killing any demon or monster that stood in her way and saving the lives of many other people who were also taking the entrance exam. After 10 minutes of the exam it ended, and everyone made it out alive. On the way off the mountain, Y/N spotted someone who looked familiar. Suddenly, she had a flashback that she was laughing with someone who seemed to be her father. When she snapped out of her flashback she locked eyes with the person and realised that the person looked a lot like her father. She walked up to the stranger and asked,