prologue

continuing from after rusty tells smudge about his interactions with graypaw, bluestar, & lionheart.

Smudge could sense Rusty's sadness as he began to speak.

"I'm sorry Smudge, I'll miss you, but I have to go."

Smudge failed to reply, instead he leaned forward and lightly touched his nose to Rusty's.

"Fair enough, I can see I can't stop you, but at least let's spend one last morning together." Smudge mewed solemnly. "And when you go into the forest with those wild cats, please come visit from time to time. I'll miss you."

"Of course, I'll visit when I'm able to." Rusty purred. "I couldn't forget how amazing of a friend you are even if I tried!"

Smudge felt his heart leap inside his chest with happiness.

"I'm glad you think I'm a good friend." He smiled and affectionately nudged Rusty's shoulder with his head.

"Well, we can't just sit here the entire day." Rusty declared. "Let's go spend our last day together like we mean it."

Smudge let out a small laugh as he nodded and hopped off the fence, Rusty trailing behind him.

"Well, you're the one leaving, so I say you have the control over our day." Smudge flicked his tail expectantly.

Rusty thought for a moment. "My housefolk should be giving me some tuna. I don't think they'd mind if you hopped along like you used to."

Smudge's eyes lit up at the thought of tuna. "Absolutely!" The black and white tom subconsciously licked his lips hungrily.

Rusty hopped over the fence and Smudge followed quickly behind. As the two toms padded through the little flappy entrance the scent of fresh tuna filled their nostrils.

They both breathed it in simultaneously and waited patiently by Rusty's bowl as his housefolk scraped tuna out of a holder before saying something they couldn't quite understand and petting them affectionately.

They both split the tuna decently even between themselves as they gladly indulged in the meal.

As they both finished, they decided to go outside to sun themselves, have a chat, and share tongues.

They hopped out of his housefolks' one after the other before perching themselves on a flat spot Rusty's twolegs had made for him on the fence.

They situated themselves rather carefully before grooming each other's fur.

"I hate to bring it up again, but I can't help wondering, are you sure you want to go through with going to the forest?" Smudge meowed in between laps.

"I'm sure." Rusty responded as he stopped grooming Smudge's fur. "I feel a sort of...calling. Call me crazy, but I think I'm meant to go with those cats, Smudge."

Smudge sighed heavily. "But think about the danger, Rusty. You don't know if those cats are telling the truth or not, do you?"

"They have to be."

The black and white tom nodded with a heavy heart. "If you think it's right, I suppose it's not my choice to tell you what to do." Smudge gazed at Rusty. "Do you even know their names?"

"I think I remember them." Rusty pondered for a moment. "Graypaw is the one who ran at me, then a blueish she-cat came out named Bluestar with a golden tom named Lionheart. They said something about being in a Clan."

Smudge's ears lowered for a heartbeat before he rose them back up again. I should be positive for him. Even if it hurts me that he's leaving, I should act like I'm okay with it.

"Sounds interesting, actually." Smudge mewed curiously. "Do you have any more information about it?" He pondered.

"They said something about there being other Clans in the forest, and that I can't belong to my housefolk with a paw in their world too, but that's all I remember."

"It's a little suspicious that they haven't told you anything else, am I wrong?" Smudge adjusted his position.

"Well, maybe it's because I could be...I don't know, a spy for the other Clans?" Rusty shrugged. "I don't want to think about it too much."

Smudge nodded and let out a brief yawn, only just realizing the setting sun behind Rusty. "Well, the sun is going down." He meowed, rising to his paws. "We should go back to our housefolk, as much as I don't want this day to end." He admitted, his back hunching over and his ears drooping slightly.

"Smudge, remember, I said I would visit you." Rusty nuzzled Smudge. "I won't break that promise."