Adopting a Stray Cat

Saki hummed a tune as she skipped her way to school. Despite the rainy day, her mood couldn't have been any better! A soft mewling caught her attention and she momentarily stopped walking to look around. There, in a small box beside the road, was a lone gray and white tabby kitten dripping with rain. 

"Awww what's a poor little kitty like you doing out here?" Saki frowned and bent down to give the kitten a pet between the ears. The pitiful, wet scrap let out a sneeze before purring and rubbing its face against Saki's hand. "I can't believe someone would be cruel enough to leave you out here all alone! This is terrible!" She crossed her arms and stared at the kitten for a moment before clapping her hands together, a determined look on her face. "Don't worry!! I won't leave you here!!" She exclaimed, scooping the kitten into her arms. Its paws left muddy prints on her clothes, but she didn't mind. Soon she returned to her usual school route, umbrella and cat in hand. 

"Hmmmm.." Saki thought to herself, glancing around as she arrived at the school's entrance. Taking the kitten inside could be a bit problematic. She couldn't exactly just waltz into class with a cat after all, especially a dirty one. But she didn't want to leave it out in the rain! Luckily she caught sight of one of her friends, Shiho, and bounded over to her before she could reach the doors. "Shiho!! Wati!!!" 

The girl turned around and tilted her head. "Oh, hey Saki. What's up-" Her eyes widened once she noticed the mewling kitten in Saki's arms. "What in the world..." Shiho mumbled, trying to look uninterested but failing to do so. She eventually reached out  a hand to pet the cute creature, a small smile on her face. 

"I found it on my way to school!! But now I don't know what to do with it!" Saki explained, holding back a teasing remark on Shiho's soft side. 

"Oh.. I see.. yeah that would be a problem if you took it to class..." Shiho agreed, looking at the kitten thoughtfully for a moment before sighing. "Ugh, I can't believe I'm doing this... Alright well... I might have a place where we can keep it until the end of the day. I'll help you sneak it in." 

"YAYYY!!" Saki cheered, itching to hug her but unable to due to holding an umbrella and a cat. She'll just have to do that later. "Thanks, you're the best!!" After a few minutes of glancing inside to check if any teachers were at the entrance, the duo finally entered the school and snuck the cat in. 

Shiho led Saki to some stairs and they went up to a higher floor. "We can hide the kitten under here. No one really uses these stairs to go to the rooftop in the winter." 

Saki nodded vigorously, finding the plan absolutely infallible. "Great! But.. oh hm.. how will we keep the cat from wandering away and getting lost!" 

Shiho put her hands on her hips and studied the area. Her eyes lit up as she spotted something that might help. "Hey look, there's a cardboard box over here that it can rest in until we come back." She suggested as she pulled it out a little. 

"Aw but it's so empty and boring... Oo I know!! I'll give it my sweater!" Saki then proceeded to try and take off her sweater but Shiho stopped her. 

"Woah woah woah, it's cold today!" 

"I know buuuttt-" 

"Ugh no buts.. do you want to get a cold or something? You know how easily you catch things." 

"Yeahhhh but won't the kitten be cold if I don't??" Saki pouted, looking at Shiho with puppy dog eyes. 

Shiho rolled her eyes. "Your health is more important than some cat's.. but fine you know what, I'll just give it my sweater." Shiho then took off her sweater and put it in the box. 

"Are you sure?? I can give it mine, I don't mind!" Saki asked curiously, to which Shiho just waved her hand dismissively. "I'll be fine, I don't get cold as easily as you do." 

"Well.. alright if you say so!" Saki nodded and placed the kitten into the box. It purred happily and started to knead the sweater before settling down with a gigantic yawn, its striped tail covering its nose. "Awww look at it!!" Saki gushed as the two watched the kitten settle down for a nap. "We'll come back at lunch to show Ichi and Hona!!" She hummed. 

Shiho nodded in agreement, smiling softly at the kitten. "Yeah, maybe we can bring something for it to eat too. But for now we should head to class, don't wanna be late." With a quick goodbye, Saki and Shiho left to go to class.