I am thou, thou art I

Why?

Just, why?

If it wasn't a person it was a group. It wasn't a group it was an organisation. If it wasn't an organisation it was her own brain. That was probably why Gemini, Ester and Nelinha never left Ana alone with any weaponry now-a-days. Even while training her, Gem took every weapon with him when he had to take a leak. Ana, frankly, didn't blame them. She didn't even trust herself some days. What a seaworthy captain, Ana often thought to herself.

Why did LI have to make everything even worse?

Why couldn't they grab her instead of Spidey? Weren't they after her?

Think 'Captain' Dakkar, Ana yelled in her head as her eyes frantically scanned for anything she could use to come up with a plan. For some reason, the Aronnax crew decided to appreciate the lagoon and not obliterate it into a million pieces like they did with everything. They instead chose to turn off the base's defences. Huh. Now they show mercy.
Ana's eyes landed on one of Gem's discarded 'Twins'. When Caleb grabbed him and held a dive knife to his throat (how it happened, Ana didn't know) he had also disarmed Gem, knocking away his Twins and his Leyden Gun. Ana hesitated, looking between the gun and her enemy(?)-turned-bodyguard-turned-friend. Gem kept trying to dislodge himself from Caleb's grasp but Caleb had the size advantage and simply pushed the knife closer to the Shark's neck.
"Let the boy go," Ophelia tried to reason.
"Then give us Ana Dakkar," Caleb countered as if in a business deal.
Ana felt her fist clench. She hadn't needed to break up an ultimatum since the Varuna when Kiya Jensen held the cookie jar hostage. Thanks the gods for Dolphin training. But now, Ana was split. Half of her was yelling 'think like a Dolphin, amadán tú!' while the other half was screaming 'what would Dev do, amadán tú?'.
Think like Amelia, or think like Dev.
Ana took another glance at the gun. About a side rolls away. She suddenly had an idea. Her crew was so gonna scold her with magma after this. Ana swiftly side rolled and grabbed the gun. The grip and weight felt awkward, reminding her that this was Gem's, but it would work. Ana just hoped Gemini wouldn't mind. Caleb started yelling about cooperation as Ana stood, her knuckles on her left hand turning white.
"What is she thinking?" Nelinha whispered to herself while trying to keep Ester from jumping into the stratosphere "Sure, her shot's decent but...she wouldn't risk it."

Ana held the barrel's end to the side of her head. The island went silent.

"Land Institute!" Ana yelled "You need me alive, right? You harm Gem, or my head goes boom. Your choice."
Communications AND weaponry. Ana could imagine Amelia and Dev shaking hands in her head. Oh gods she missed them. She could really use 'Operation: Pain Banish' right about now.

Everyone's eyes widened. Who would put themselves up as a hostage?!
"Ana, no, don't do this!" Gem yelled at the top of his lungs "Just go!"
Ana simply looked at him and gave him a look that said 'I don't really care anymore,' before slowly shaking her head, gun still pressed against it.
"Not without you," she mouthed despite knowing Gem couldn't read lips.
The Dolphins looked between eachother and their prefect, literally silently discussing what to do and if they knew any good therapists. Their prefect couldn't do this... The Cephalopods tried to examine the gun from a distance. Maybe the safety was on! Dolphins were known for espionage and anti-espionage. Prefect Dakkar had to be a magician preforming a trick! The Orcas double checked they had medical supplies on them. If Ana... No, she wouldn't go through. This was in case Prefect Twain got hurt. The Sharks gritted their teeth as they watched their prefect suffer, unable to fight back due to Caleb's threats.
"Ana," Ester and Nelinha croaked, trying to hold back tears but failed when they saw Ana's emotionless expression.
"Decide," Ana suddenly ordered Caleb, her breathing increasing in speed but her stare still piercing.