Chapter 16

Kotoko's bump was slowly showing and like the last pregnancy, she enjoyed seeing her chest grow.

I didn't listen to Mother when she stated, while Kotoko was pregnant with Kotomi, that the pregnancy looked good on her.

Now I knew what she meant.

As if she was glowing. It suited her, she looked better, happier.

,,Summer in Japan is so hot,'' she gasped as she sat down, sweat rolling down her forehead.

,,Were you ever in another country in summer?'' I mocked her, making her pout.

I took the fan in front of her and slowed it down, moving it further away from her, something that she didn't quite enjoy.

,,Do you want to catch a cold or what?'' I asked her, making her cross her arms.

But before she could end up in a bad mood, Mother called us to eat some watermelon outside, something she totally was into.

However, Kotoko jumped up way too quickly, making her stumble back. Luckily I held her, glaring at her.

,,Go easy on you, especially with this weather,'' I warned her, making her blush.

She liked these kinds of things, of course.

We walked outside to the garden, Kotomi was already seated next to Kotoko's father, biting into her watermelon below the big umbrella mom bought when Kotomi turned one.

,,So sweet!'' she chuckled, making me smile.

And once again, Mother was busy taking pictures.

Although, sometimes her being obsessed with pictures wasn't such a bad thing...

,,Kotomi, let's see who can spit the seed further away, perhaps a watermelon plant will grow!'' Kotoko said to her daughter.

,,Your spit is toxic-'' Before Yuki could end his sentence, Mother slapped him on the shoulder, making me smirk.

Kotoko was able to bring a happy childhood into my child's life, she wasn't rational like me, and that's what Kotomi needed.

She laughed and giggled as she played with her mother, making wonderful memories with all of us.

,,What do you all think of going to the beach tonight? We could make some fireworks!'' Kotoko suddenly exclaimed, making everyone, especially Kotomi happy with her idea.

Such a child.

,,Kotomi, let Mama help you, I don't want you to burn yourself,'' Kotoko said, as she was on her knees, helping Kotomi to turn on the little firework.

Other people next to us seemed to have the same idea, as the beach was glowing in wonderful warm colors.

And for the first time in my life, I seemed to enjoy the sight.

Shigeru, Kotoko's father approached me, clapping on my back as he melancholy watched his daughter.

,,Having a family is something wonderful, son. We should always be thankful for making happy memories together,'' he said as if he could read my mind.

And he was right.

,,DADDY! Help me too!'' Kotomi called me too.

I approached her, my feet almost sinking into the soft sand and when I finally arrived, two people stretched their hands out to me, ready to grab me and pull me in.

No matter how many times I would fall into my old habits, as soon as those two were around me, everything seemed to be warm and shining...They were my family.