I Was In love

*1 day later*

I woke up early that morning, the sunlight peeking through my curtains. I felt a sense of nervous anticipation as I got out of bed, my mind already focused on the conversation I needed to have with Ava. As I walked into the kitchen, I put on a bright smile, trying to mask the butterflies in my stomach.

"Morning," I said cheerfully to my mom, who was already bustling around the kitchen, preparing breakfast.

"You're up early," she remarked, returning my smile. There was a hint of surprise in her voice - I usually liked to sleep in on the weekends.

"Yeah, I decided I didn't want to lie in bed all day," I replied with a small laugh, hoping to sound casual. In reality, I could barely sit still, my leg bouncing nervously under the table as I ate my breakfast.

Finally, I gathered the courage to bring up the topic that had been weighing on my mind. "Hey, mom?" I said tentatively.

"Hmm?" she hummed in response, her attention still focused on the stove.

I took a deep breath. "Do you think I could go to Ava's house today? It's really important." I looked at her pleadingly, my eyes wide and hopeful.

My mom's expression shifted to one of concern. "Hazel, you're grounded, remember?" she sighed, her brow furrowing.

"Please?" I begged

My mom hesitated, considering my request. I could see the internal conflict on her face as she weighed the situation. Finally, she relented, albeit reluctantly. "Okay, then," she said, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

"Thank you!" I exclaimed, jumping up to give her a tight hug. With that, I hurried out the door, my heart racing with a mix of nervousness and anticipation.

When I reached Ava's house, I took a deep breath before knocking on the door. Her mom answered, and I mustered a smile. "Is Ava home?" I asked, trying to sound casual.

"She's upstairs," her mom replied, and I thanked her before making my way to Ava's room.

I knocked on the door and slowly pushed it open, peering inside. "Hey," I said softly, offering Ava a tentative smile.

"Hey" she said in a sad tone

I felt my heart sink as Ava responded in a sad, dejected tone. "Are you mad at me?" she asked, her voice barely above a whisper.

I was taken aback by her question, my brow furrowing in concern. "What? No, of course not," I quickly reassured her, my voice laced with sincerity. I then took a deep breath, trying to gather my thoughts. "It just... it scared the shit out of me," I admitted, my voice wavering slightly.

Ava let out a small, nervous laugh. "Me too," she said, her eyes meeting mine. There was a glimmer of relief in her gaze, but also a hint of lingering fear.

"I don't regret it, though," I confessed, a tentative smile spreading across my face. I wanted her to know that, despite my initial shock, I didn't resent what had happened between us.

Ava returned my smile, the tension in her shoulders visibly easing. But then her expression grew pensive, and she sighed heavily. "I don't know what we're going to do about what happened," I admitted, my brow furrowed in concern.

my palms growing sweaty. "All I know is, I still want to be friends," I said, my voice soft and sincere. I needed her to know that, no matter what, I valued our friendship above all else.

Ava's eyes widened slightly, and she seemed to be mulling something over. Then, a shy smile tugged at the corners of her lips. "Maybe... we could be more than friends," she said, her gaze locked with mine.

I felt my breath catch in my throat, my heart pounding so hard I thought it might burst from my chest. Had I heard her correctly? Did she really just suggest that we could be... more? I was utterly shocked, my mind racing with a whirlwind of emotions. But beneath the surprise, I felt a glimmer of hope and excitement.

Slowly, I reached out and placed my hand
On hers, my fingers trembling slightly. "Maybe," I breathed, returning her smile with one of my own. The air between us was thick with tension, but also a newfound sense of possibility.

Without warning, Ava leaned in and pressed her lips to mine. The kiss was soft, tentative, but it sent a jolt of electricity through my body. My heart was racing, my mind reeling, as I savored the moment, committing every sensation to memory.

All too soon, I knew I had to go. I was still grounded, after all, and I couldn't risk staying too long and getting in further trouble. Reluctantly, I pulled away, my eyes searching Ava's face, silently conveying the depth of my feelings. "I have to go," I whispered, my voice laced with regret.

I felt a profound sense of relief wash over me as I left Ava's house. The tension and uncertainty that had been weighing on me had dissipated, replaced by a newfound hope and excitement for the future. Though I had no idea how I would break the news to my parents, in that moment, I didn't care. All that mattered was that Ava and I were okay.

As I made my way home, my mind was consumed by thoughts of Ava. A giddy smile tugged at the corners of my lips, and I could feel my heart fluttering in my chest.

When I arrived home, my dad greeted me with a knowing smirk. "What are you so smiley about?" he teased, his eyebrow raised in amusement.

I felt my cheeks flush with embarrassment, suddenly self-conscious. "Huh? Oh, nothing," I stammered, my voice betraying my nervousness.

My dad's smirk only widened, and he gave me a playful nudge. "Okay, then," he said, his tone laced with good-natured skepticism.

Eager to escape the scrutiny, I quickly retreated to my room, my mind still swirling with thoughts of Ava. I tried to focus on my homework, but my pen kept drifting across the page, my thoughts constantly straying back to the girl who had captured my heart.

Later, as I helped my mom set the table for dinner, I found myself daydreaming once again. I must have had a dopey grin on my face, because my mom suddenly chuckled and said, "What's going on with you? You've been acting very odd since you got back from Ava's house."

I felt my face grow warm with a blush, and I let out a nervous laugh. "What do you mean? I'm acting normal," I insisted, though the quiver in my voice betrayed my true feelings.

My mom just shook her head and laughed, seemingly amused by my attempts to conceal my emotions.

After dinner, I retreated to the sanctuary of my bedroom, my body and mind utterly exhausted from the whirlwind of the day. As I sank into the comfort of my bed, I felt my eyelids grow heavy, and within moments, I had drifted off into a deep, peaceful slumber, my dreams filled with the image of Ava's beautiful smile.