Chapter 3

The Whispering Forest loomed dark and silent before her. She shifted the pack and considered the path splitting into three at her feet. One lead to the left, the other to the right. She traced their direction as far as she could see.

"They go around the forest," a voice said behind her.

She swung around with clenched fists.

The man and woman both took a step back.

Besha forced her hands to relax. Not everyone on the planet was out to harm her. She took a deep breath and nodded.

"Sorry about that. You scared me."

Still wary the couple remained where they were. The man pointed to his right. "That way you have to face the crocodiles and alligators."

He flicked his hand in the opposite direction. "That way are the tigers and black lions."

Besha shivered. Black lions on Wea One had a reputation for liking human flesh.

"And that way?"she asked pointing directly ahead.

The couple shared a worried glance before looking at her once more. "That way you have to face the beast of the Whispering Forest."

The man took the woman's hand. "We hike to the crocodiles and alligators and then take a transport to the other side. You are welcome to join us."

Besha looked from the one side to the other and then straight ahead. "How long will it take to get to the other side if I go with you?"

"Three days, maybe four."

She considered the forest again. It seemed to be whispering as it was called. There was no breeze, but the trees and leaves were gently swaying from side to side.

"You won't make it," the woman whispered. "No one who went into the forest ever came out again."

Besha blinked. "Maybe they didn't want to leave."

The couple frowned. "Or they were eaten by the beast who lives there. They say he uses magic to lure people inside before capturing them."

The man pointed to the ground. "See there? The trees are moving, but the shadows are not. That cannot be normal."

Besha bit her lip. She didn't have enough currency to pay for transport and taking on alligators and tigers were not a pleasant thought. She was no warrior. The forest it would have to be.

"Thank you for your kind offer, but I will take my chances."

With that she stepped forward. Two hands landed on her shoulders. She stopped and turned around shaking off her restraints.

"You will die."

She shrugged. "Maybe. Maybe not." Then again the tigers and alligators would eat her alive. No, the forest it has to be.

She turned back and started walking. "Enjoy your hike," she called to them.

A noise drew her attention and she swung around once more. The couple had moved off, but there was someone rushing towards her. She squinted before her eyes widened. Evan. Shit.

Not hesitating again, she took off in the direction of the forest.

"Bethesda! Stop right there!"

Like hell, she thought, and pushed her legs harder.

Hundred meters to go.

The footsteps running after her sounded closer.

Fifty meters.