Business of love

When they were younger, Viv had been a certain type of edgy—temporary tattoos on her face, dressed head-to-toe in FILA. It's no wonder that Aria was attracted to her, maybe subconsciously ever since then. They were now all grown up and working together on small independent show productions; Viv, dealing with the money and logistics, and Aria, on communications and creative direction. As it often happened with Aria, a slow love bloomed as they spent time together at the workplace.

Viv broke up with her boyfriend before one of their business meetings and Aria, being bad at knowing what to say in those sorts of situations, made many silly and inappropriate jokes. They took three hours to wrap up an hour's worth of work, and at the end, Viv told Aria that she was feeling like shit that morning but now felt better after seeing Aria. She said that she wished she was a lesbian. Aria smiled sadly, and on her walk home, thought about what an excellent lesbian Viv would make. That was the first time she felt something. But she buried it deep inside because she did not want to get hurt—not again.

After that, no matter how hard Aria tried, it was downhill for her feelings. There was something so incurably attractive about how assertive Viv was, how her nails were always immaculate, how she loved sequins and sparkly clothes, and even the furious manner in which she smoked her e-cigarette. There was something so attractive about how Viv was so aggressive to everyone, especially the people they did business with, but she was Aria's—she protected Aria and played bad cop when they needed to do a negotiation; she was unconditionally by Aria's side.

They went shopping after a business meeting one evening because Viv wanted to buy new clothes to wear for her brother's birthday dinner. Aria helped her select some options and waited outside the curtains in the trial room for Viv. After a couple minutes, Viv called out to her, asking for help with the zip on the dress she was wearing. Aria flushed, feeling too shy to go inside because of her mixed feelings for Viv. She helped her into the dress quickly, and left the dressing stall as soon as she could because it felt too wrong to touch her and see her undressed—it felt dishonest.

After a couple weeks of this inner conflict, Aria finally felt like it was enough, and that no matter the consequences, she had to come clean to Viv. Her hidden love was gnawing at her to a level that she could no longer bear. In the low light of a bar they were at with some friends, she ran her eyes over Viv's long, shiny, undulating hair and her smooth skin. She listened to her chatting and smiled at the loveliness of her laugh, and the mix of deep and high tones of her voice, like a bouquet of complimentary flowers. Aria couldn't bear it anymore. 

She asked Viv if she could talk to her about something. They moved over to a smaller table in the corner of the space. 

Viv moved her hair behind her ear and asked her what was up. Aria looked down at her hands and said that she didn't want this to affect their business or their friendship and that it was okay if Viv didn't feel the same way but she just wanted to be honest. 

Okay, Viv responded, asking what this was about, taking Aria's nervous hands into hers. 

Aria looked at Viv and told her that she knew Viv hadn't been with any women before, but—she turned red and dropped her gaze—she was deeply attracted to Viv and wanted to know if she would give it a chance. She furtively added that she was sorry, and again, that this wouldn't change anything between them if Viv didn't feel the same way. 

Viv said softly in the darkness then, that Aria should stop apologising. She moved her fingers slowly against Aria's. Aria lifted her other hand to Viv's face and touched her cheek, moving her fingers across her jaw, burying them into her soft hair. Viv's hand fell to Aria's waist, pulling her slight frame closer to her as their lips met and they fell into a passionate kiss.